I am adding a 25X16 room addition on piers which will extend 16' out from the house. The new shed roof can only rise 3' on joining to the house. Is this enough pitch to put skylights without a big risk of leak problems? I am in Massachusetts, so snow will likely sit on it often. The inside will be cathedral ceiling type. I planned to use two 30x48 venting skylights (Velux?). Should we Ice&Water Shield the whole roof too?
The standard flashing kits with roof windows are designed for a 3:12 slope. You have about a 2-1/4:12 slope. The windows can be installed on a flat roof with the proper framing and flashing. You may need to build up the window frame slightly to conform to the standard slope. Consult with the window vendor for recommendations or contact Velux directly for customer support.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes