I have a 1986 townhouse which is 16' wide. Currently, there is wood laminate floor and I could be happier because it "pops" and cracks when you walk over it. It isn't a creaking sound, but there could be loose floorboards underneath (I don't know...) The subfloor is on top of 16' trusses. I want new floors and am wondering if adding engineered hardwood, with a staple or nail down installation would add strength and give me less "bounce". If not, are there any recommendations for strengthening the subfloor before I put down carpet? I have cats so I would prefer the hardwood because I think it is easier to keep clean, but would carpet add more of a cushion and make the wide span less noticeable? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
One more thing, the previous owner lowered the baseboards after pulling out the carpet and there is not much of a gap between the laminate and the baseboard. If I let the baseboards up some, would this allow the floating floor more "give"? Recommended space allowances? Thanks!
ceramic floor tile
Cement board - mortar them or just screw them down?
Floor cleaning systems
old harwood floors
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!