I'm currently in the midst of refinishing a water-damaged basement in my home and here's my process thus far:
1. Exterior regrading of land and correcting drainage to eliminate standing water around the foundation.
2. We installed an interior drain tile system that connects to two sump pumps.
3. 6mil vapor barrier hung over, NOT adhered to block wall and then draping .5" into drain tile system to allow for air flow between block and VB.
3. 3.5" unfaced batting (R-13) in stud cavity. FYI, studs are approximately 6" from block wall.
4. .5" aluminum-faced foam insulation board (R-3.2) over studs and unfaced batting.
5. Drywall and then paint.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries