Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


08:11AM | 08/22/02
Member Since: 08/21/02
4 lifetime posts
I'm wanting to put in some shelving that are basically like planks coming out of the wall.
Not sure what you would call this?

I'm looking for a design, approach, or technique to completing this task.


doug seibert

02:02AM | 08/23/02
Member Since: 08/10/02
842 lifetime posts
What do you expect them to look like......just the boards attached to the wall...FLOATING!..."no visible means of support?".....

How is the wall constructed??????..drywall over studs? again and we'll help


02:11AM | 08/23/02
Member Since: 08/21/02
4 lifetime posts
Yes exactly. I would like the boards to appear as they are floating or just sticking out of the wall with no visible supports.

The wall is a standard drywalled wall with wooden studs in the wall.

The shelves will support a sound system when completed.

Thank you,


07:44AM | 08/23/02
Member Since: 07/30/02
4 lifetime posts
Like that idea, please post if you find anything out else where.


[This message has been edited by hammered (edited August 23, 2002).]


12:59PM | 10/18/02
Member Since: 10/17/02
1 lifetime posts
IKEA sells shelves like that in several different colors. You have to install a bracket/support system on the wall and then slide the plank over the bracket. Looks likes it's floating w/o any support at all.


04:30AM | 10/21/02
Member Since: 09/05/02
4 lifetime posts
I have one of those IKEA shelving units. I'm no Bob Vila and I put it up myself. Looks great and it's sturdy too. I just got my 2003 IKEA catalog and they are listed for $14.95 I think. They come in a variety of colors, too.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button