Hardie Plank Pros and Cons
Maintenance is the same as any exterior painted surface and will need to be repainted periodically. How often it needs painted will depend on the grade of paint used and the number and thickness of the coats.
Hardiplank siding is far superior to the Masonite or hardboard siding it was meant to replace.
Don't look for meaningful insulation gains in any type of siding. If you need insulation, install it in the wall cavity between the studs (such as R-13 fiberglass batts) or skin over the outside of the wall with 1" styrofoam or urethane board (R-7) before applying new siding.
Anything that is painted will eventually need to be re-painted. Under like conditions, Hardie-plank will hold paint as much as twice as long as wood. If you want no maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
Don't look for meaningful insulation values in any type of siding. If you need insulation, add it to the cavity between the wall studs (with products such as fiberglass batts or blown-in insulations with a R value of 13 or more) or "skin" over the outside of the walls with 1" insulation panels (such as urethane or styrofoam with a R value of 7 or more). A lot of contorted hype accompanies products and their R values. Be careful!
In my experiences, paint holds at least twice as long on hardie-plank as it does on wood. If you want NO maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects