Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


05:52AM | 03/13/05
Member Since: 03/12/05
1 lifetime posts
I seriously need help finding the plastic ceiling tiles that allow light to pass through. I know they are an older style but when I ask at any store they act like I am a fruitcake. If anyone knows what I need to ask for and where to buy them it would be wonderful and I would be so thankful.


05:13AM | 03/20/05
Member Since: 01/30/05
360 lifetime posts
Are you referring to the "plastic" panels that you use in a "drop ceiling" to difuse light from a florescent light fixture above? (they often have a diamond type patern)? Otherwise I have no idea to what you are referring to.


12:08PM | 03/22/05
Member Since: 06/23/04
161 lifetime posts
There are basically two types of lay-in panels. The first, that MistressEll refered to, is a solid, plastic panel with a diamond faceted surface (faces up). This one is called an "acrylic prismatic lens" and usually is combined with an enclosed fluorescent fixture. They are semi-transparent or white translucent and come in various levels of quality. This lens can be found at a commercial electrical supply.

The second is an acrylic eggcrate lens that is usually translucent white and between 1/2" to 3/4" thick. The eggcrate pattern dimension can also vary between 1/2" and 1" square. This lens is open so that air and small debris can fall through. This lens can be found at a commercial electrical supply and at some home builders stores such as Low*s.



10:12AM | 04/03/05
Member Since: 04/02/05
1 lifetime posts
I have found this site for ceiling tiles. They are vinyl, not plastic, but they have a lot of different patterns and they come in opaque or translucent, to install over common flourescent lights.

Hope it helps.


02:58PM | 03/17/06
Member Since: 03/16/06
1 lifetime posts
Bravery summed it up nicely.

I will add that you can buy the panels at The Home Depot.

The most common sizes are 2'X 2' and 2'X 4'. The most common patterns are prismatic and cracked ice and can be clear or white.

The egg-crate style, usually found in office buildings, is either white or mirrored/silvered.

The material used can be acrylic or styrene.



10:45AM | 10/03/06
Member Since: 10/02/06
1 lifetime posts
Any leads on the silver (Vacuum Metalized) egg Crate grids?

I need 10 for a project ASAP and will need many more.

Please help!?!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button