Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


09:57AM | 06/20/05
Member Since: 06/19/05
1 lifetime posts
Concrete sidwalk and curb have rust stain spots. Concrete is 3 years old. I am looking for a way to remove the rust spots.

Thank you


10:10PM | 07/02/05
Member Since: 07/01/05
91 lifetime posts
Oxalic acid crystals will remove rust stains from anything, & is not dangerous.

It is the acid in rhubarb.

Finding the Oxalic acid crystals is another matter. Often it is labeled "wood bleach".

Or you can rub rhubarb on the stains.


05:12AM | 07/03/05
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
There are several "wood beaches".

Most common are two part wood beaches which remove the color from the wood and not stains.

They have a completely different action won't work on rust.

But here is one online source

And it should be available in "good" hardware stores and "real" paint stores (Benjaim Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc).

It is also available in a mild solution as Starbrite Hull (boat) Cleaner which ******* carries. And some deck Brighteners have an Oxalic Acid base.

doug seibert

10:17AM | 07/03/05
Member Since: 08/10/02
842 lifetime posts
lolly posted......"Oxalic acid crystals will remove rust stains from anything, & is not dangerous.......It is the acid in rhubarb......"

Yes.....Correct......Oxalic acid is found in the leaves of the Rhubarb.....BUT the leaves are poisonous.......

Oxalic Acid Crystals available for sale carry a Danger/Poison any chemical.........Read, Understand and Follow the instructions that come with the product...........


08:41PM | 07/03/05
Member Since: 07/01/05
91 lifetime posts
Misusing anything can have serious consequences. Scary warnings are easy to find.

Following label directions is an assumed part of using any product with which you are not familiar.

Acidic acid at about 5% solution is called vinegar. Acidic acid carries the same hazard warnings that are seen on Oxalic acid. My point is that, mixed normally (5-10%) it is not any more dangerous that many items found in the average home workshop, or laundry room. While normal precautions should be used, Oxalic acid is not as hazardous as the gallons of chemicals kept in the garages of the millions of folks with swimming pools.

The fact that Oxalic acid is poisonous has little relevance re the subject of removing rust stains from a driveway.

Oxalic acid will do its job on rust stains when mixed in a very dilute ratio.

My method for mixing Oxalic acid crystals with water:

Wearing protective gloves is advised.

1) Put the desired amount of warm water in a suitably sized plastic or glass container.

2) Add crystals to the mixture until the water will not absorb crystals.

3) Stir the mixture & add a bit more water until the remaining crystals dissolve.

My own crusty hands seem to be immune to any affects from this mixture of Oxalic acid, but my mixing ratio may be very weak. With heating, one presumes that more crystals could be forced into solution.

If you are still interested in this acid, some veggies contain about 1% Oxalic acid.

Plant leaves, especially rhubarb, cabbage, spinach, and beet tops, contain oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is also found in potatoes and peas. Ingest 20 pounds of rhubarb leaves, & you can die, however the stalks are not toxic.


01:17PM | 07/04/05
Member Since: 06/24/05
13 lifetime posts
When applying Oxalic Acid you will need a 3M respirator, chemical gloves, and rubber suit, and yes goggles. If you do not follow the warnings that you are given you will risk your health and anyone else in the cleaning area. The mist is very noctious and when the wind catches it, others may get a wiff in their lungs. Getting any of the acid on your bare skin should be cleaned immediately. Any clothes that are saturated should be taken off and cleaned immediately. I know this because I own a company where we use this in our arsenal to neutralize our chemicals when cleaning, and vise versa. This acid has been linked to men having deformed childeren when exsposed to this product. This is not a joke and I don't care if it is from a plant or not, it will harm. Also like sodium hydroxide which we use to strip with are also in your tooth paste, and environmentally chemicals are not friendly. They take years to degrade, and when they are just spilled into the sewers the aquatic life will die. So anything in a large or even small dose will harm health so follow all precautions with anything you use, no matter where or what it came from.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button