Latest Discussions : Plumbing


06:30PM | 07/31/03
Member Since: 03/09/03
26 lifetime posts
My 1926 home has the original galvanized steel water main. Interior supply lines have all been replaced w/copper. Water pressure in the house is very low. I would like to replace the water supply line from the stop valve at the street to my water meter. Code in my town requires 1" copper. After that I will pay a professional to replace the line between the stop valve and the city main under the street.

I have only done interior plumbing. Any advice on replacing this main line to the stop valve?

1. Any specific code requirements?
2. Any common problems I might run into since it's from 1926?
3. Any other advice?


plumber Tom

06:48AM | 08/05/03
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
Brian I would consider doing the whole job at one time. I mean from the city main to your water meter. This way an inspector can approve it all at one time. They (water utility) normally "tap" the pipe under pressure, and install a new valve. It's your plumber's responsibility to see the abandoned water line is properly capped off, and the inspector will check this. The norm is 3/4" soft "K" copper with a loop for expansion to your curb stop.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button