Latest Discussions : Plumbing


07:55AM | 08/04/03
Member Since: 06/17/03
2 lifetime posts
I'm replacing a wal mounted kitchen faucet with a hot inlet and a cold inlet. First of all, I have to shut the water off, since the faucet is connected directly to the water lines in the wall. But, the inlets protrude 1.5" away from the tile wall. They are also too big in diameter to fit the inlet faucet nuts. I figure they make shorter inlet shanks, but what do I do about the diameter mismatch? Thanks.

plumber Tom

06:02AM | 08/05/03
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
The shanks you are referring to are normally 1/2" NPT (national pipe thread) You have to figure out a way to make the connection, with what you have currently, or purchase a faucet, that is identical (fitting wise) to the old one. If you post back with more info, as to commercial / residential, size of supply lines, make and model of faucet, I'll be able to help you better, Tom

erik peterson

03:55AM | 08/10/03
Member Since: 06/23/03
223 lifetime posts
The "shanks" are actually called "eccentrics" and are available in different sizes depending on the manufacturer of the faucet...if your not able to find the same faucet new (easiest-course), measure the distance between the two extending pipes to center....if its an odd-ball size look into "chicago-faucets" they come in several different spans to accomodate different rough measurements. erik


07:22AM | 08/11/03
Member Since: 06/17/03
2 lifetime posts
Thanks for the info. I was pleasantly surprised when I started the actual removal; the oversized pipes on the wall were actually threaded onto 1/2" pipe. I just replaced these with brass and got the job done. Thanks for the info!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button