Latest Discussions : Plumbing

Brian Vogel

10:27AM | 04/29/04
Member Since: 09/30/03
10 lifetime posts
Looking for some expert advice.

We moved into our home about 9 months ago. The basement had water problems, and the previous owners installed a pump in the basement closet where the water was entering.

The drain out is (roughly) 1" PVC pipe, but not extended from the house. We are not having problems with water re-entering (yet). But, where the PVC is dumping the water, we have a problem with erosion. Both over the top of, and through the cracks of a stone wall. Causing a buildup of mad/dirt after a hard rain.

I'd like to fix this problem this summer. What is the best course of action? Extend the line the entire length of the yard (about 25 feet) to the street? Or is it OK only go far enough to clear the wall, off the hillside?

Also, is it OK to use 1" pipe, or should I use larger? Thanks.

plumber Tom

02:57PM | 04/29/04
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
Brian, the rule of thumb is to NOT reduce the discharge coming off the pump. The minimum recommended size is at least 1 and 1/4". You have 2 options depending if your allowed by your local code. Discharge into the main house drain(sewer)or discharge onto the lawn like you have it now. All you have to do is call your township and ask. Your not breaking any laws, just asking a simple question. If you don't want to go that route of upping the diameter of the pipe, simply install a 1" coupling and extend the pipe. The pump should have adequete capability to pump the water 25' Good luck, Tom

Brian Vogel

06:10AM | 04/30/04
Member Since: 09/30/03
10 lifetime posts
Thanks Tom...

It very well may be 1 1/4"...I was only eyeing it up, and taking a guess.

As far as extending the pipe, would you recommend running the entire length of the yard, to the street. I'm definitely going to extend it, tired of dealing with the dirt in the driveway.

I ask because, to take the most direct route, I'll have to clear under steps leading from the driveway to the front door...and my wife's flower bed! If I don't have to dig under, and through, those 2, I'd rather not...but if it's the best result, I'd prefer that. Thanks for the help.


07:47AM | 04/30/04
Member Since: 09/16/02
250 lifetime posts

This subject has been a source of entertainment for the regular Bob Vila people.

I'm no expert, but I think we can all agree that you need to find where the water is coming in and fix it.

If the water is coming in at a closet and the prior owners just put a pump in. That isn't very good.

I will let the experts tell you how to go about fixing that problem.

Good luck,



03:50AM | 05/03/04
Member Since: 12/09/03
175 lifetime posts
Brian use a much larger pipe (4") if you're in a freeze zone vent the pump connection outside if the underground line freezes the water has a place to go. Good luck C.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button