01:05PM | 06/02/06
Member Since: 06/01/06
1 lifetime posts
While doing work at my elderly mother's house recently, I noticed that the copper overflow pipe that comes off the pressure relief valve on the water heater that Sears installed several years ago is not connected. The pipe has an elbo joint that leads to the back of the heater, and was left wide open. Luckily, the valve has not released any water, as it could do some major damage. My question is what is the best way to fix the problem. The water heater is in a basement, and there is a door between it and the outside wall. I would have to run a pipe up and over the door opening. My other choice is to run a pipe to the pump that is connected to the adjacent air conditioning unit, but would the pump be able to handle the full flow of the pressure relief valve if it should release at full pressure?


06:45AM | 06/03/06
Member Since: 01/24/06
1626 lifetime posts
Me office1
I have found from personal experience that "plumbers" who work for the big box stores are not the sharpest crayons in the box.IMHO

Some contractors cannot make a decent living relying on their skills thus they settle on working for another company as installers rather then bothering to learn the NBBI or ASME, NFPA codes regarding the proper location and design of relief piping.

The T&P piping should be piped to a safe area with no more then 2 ells and be full size and the end of the pipe should be cut in such a way that no fitting can be placed on the end.

Piping to the out side also has limitations such as possible frost (winter conditions) or the possibility of the T&P discharging and someone walking by and getting scalded.

Local codes always seem to like to get involved with the ASME and I would suggest you look into your local code book and then call the installers back (at no charge to you) and tell them you want the piping installed according to the code in your area.
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon