Latest Discussions : HVAC


11:01AM | 10/01/03
Member Since: 02/13/03
4 lifetime posts

I just bought a 45 year old house and am starting to winterize the house. The house has an original wood fireplace which has been converted to gas, there is a chimney with a working flue. In the back wall of the fireplace there is a small sliding metal door. It is about 2 inches tall and 10 inches wide. It is located about 8 inches from the floor. What is this door for? Is is a vent of some kind or it is to deposit ashes from the original wood fireplace? I'm asking because quite a bit of cold air is coming in through the little door and I'm hoping I can seal it up.



02:00AM | 10/03/03
It is a door to access the ash. By opening this, you have access to the unburned junk without having to drag it through your house to dispose of it. There is usually a small fiber rope type gasket you replace on the surface of the door. You may even be able to remove the door and take it to a fireplace outlet and they will install a new seal in it for you. This should help with the draft. Good luck.


09:01PM | 11/20/03
Member Since: 01/13/03
25 lifetime posts
typically ash doors are lower on the wall or even on the fireplace floor and are more square than 2x10. i may be wrong but that's been the case for all the ash doors i've seen. Some fireplaces have make-up air vents to provide outside vent/combustion air when burning a wood fire so that the fire doesnt eat up and draw air from the house. this is what that door may be.


03:12AM | 01/06/19
That was just a stupid idea have to remove the ash to open the door SMH


03:15AM | 01/06/19
Wondering the same thing after digging out my fireplace found the little door then seen its to remove the ash from the fireplace how does that serve when you have to dig out the fireplace to find the door??


02:52PM | 12/01/19
Isn't 2"x 10" a little small to work through?

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button