09:38AM | 07/16/01
Member Since: 07/15/01
1 lifetime posts
We have a 1926 house with knob and tube wiring. Since other kinds of wiring have been grafted onto this wiring, we're having the whole place rewired. The electrician we've chosen suggests using FLEX wiring. What is this? Is it a quality product? Thanks!


05:29AM | 07/17/01
Member Since: 05/02/01
28 lifetime posts
Not sure of that specific term, could be the flex metal conduit that comes with the wires inside. Have seen it used here in commerical buildings. Was OK unless you needed to pull another circuit later, the conduit was full when installed. He could also be talking about the flex plastic conduit which is also OK.


08:24PM | 07/23/01
Member Since: 07/21/00
76 lifetime posts
If the electrician is talking about metal clad cable, then he/she is suggesting a very good and safe product. It may be necessary to meet your local codes. They may also use "sheathed electrical cable" which is a non-metallic clad cable. The sheathed electrical cable should be considerably cheaper.


08:18AM | 07/24/01
Member Since: 04/05/01
32 lifetime posts
If the wiring is exposed, ie. on the outside of the wall, you will need the metal clad cable. Most people have it from their furnace switch to the furnace, as the wiring is exposed from the basement ceiling to the furnace and most electricians do not install the higher cost emt conduit.

If, however, the wiring is to be routed inside the walls, you probably don't need metal-clad wiring. It can be more difficult to work with, driving up labour costs as time increases and, since it is physically bigger, you may not be able to run 2 circuits through the same holes in the studs. All in all, I would recommend sheathed electrical cable for most re-wiring jobs.

One place where I would use metal-clad wiring is if my walls are quite thin and I don't have 1-1/4" of room between the nailing surface and the wire. You might get this with basement walls that have been strapped or walls with pocket doors. In this case, you would have to install a metal plate over each stud or strap to protect the wiring, but the metal-clad wiring wouldn't need that. You could just drill your holes and pull it through.

Good luck.



05:13PM | 07/27/01
Member Since: 11/14/00
333 lifetime posts
Good idea to replace the knob and tube wiring.

I, too, do not know what "flex" means (not a standardized term of art), but suspect that it refers to the non-metallic "sheathed electrical cable" wire to which the others referred. What he meant probably depends on wiring code and practice in your area. Some places prohibit NM cable, some prohibit armored cable, but they are all reasonably safe products.

Regardless of what he means, I feel confident that he will be installing safe wire. Most unsafe electrical wiring products have been weeded out of the common market by now, so much so that it is even tough to find stuff for outdated wiring products that are "grandfathered" into electrical codes (like aluminum wiring). It is all pretty standardized throughout the country, whether they typically use NM cable, flex-metal cable, or plastic or metal conduit. Of course, we might find out in a few years that copper electrical wire is the REAL cause of AIDS or something else unpredictably horrible (for instance, they thought aluminum wire was safe for three or four years before they discovered the hazards, and that rubber was a good insulator until it deteriorated industry-wide after 20 or so years), but if that is the case, we're all in it together.

Click to reply button
  • People also asked iconFLEX wiring We have a 1926 house with knob and tube wiring....
  • People also asked iconconduit They sell thin 12/2 conduit at Home Depot. This...
  • People also asked icon12 gauge-20 amp The house I own was built in 1972. The wiring s...
    1 REPLY
  • People also asked icongreenfield and flex Can I use 3/8 flex cable inside a wall? I am wi...
    1 REPLY
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon