Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting

Tequestya

05:48AM | 08/04/01
Member Since: 08/03/01
1 lifetime posts
The lightbulb broke(separated) from the base when, after MANY years, the bulb burned out, & it was hard to renove the bulb. Base is in the fixture. What steps do I need to get base out of the socketw/o getting shocked, & ruining the socket?

rpxlpx

06:18AM | 08/04/01
Member Since: 03/13/00
1674 lifetime posts
Make sure power is OFF. You might even want to turn off the circuit breaker to that area for total safety. Now you can use a needle nose plier or other tool to remove the bulb base by unscrewing it. If you have to bend one edge of the bulb base in slightly toward the center, that's OK. Then you can get ahold of it with pliers. Most light bulb sockest are tougher than the bulb that goes in them. Just be gentle.
One more thing: don't use oil or any lubricant to loosen it. That would be bad "electrically".

[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited August 04, 2001).]

Christopher Sparks

03:46PM | 08/10/01
Member Since: 08/09/01
29 lifetime posts
Before I became an electrician, I remember my Momma (God rest her soul) would always use ¬Ω a potato to remove a broken base of an incandescent light bulb and when she was about to replace it she would wipe a little petroleum jelly around the threads of the bulb (NOT the socket) she said that it would help in the future

[This message has been edited by Christopher Sparks (edited August 10, 2001).]

Iceman

09:09AM | 11/21/01
Member Since: 11/16/01
301 lifetime posts
I use a regular screwdriver with the rubber padding on the handle. Simply press the handle end into the broken lightbulb socket, press and turn. Do not use a potato. They contain liquid which will conduct electricity and "bite" you.
Len

Christopher Sparks

03:15AM | 11/24/01
Member Since: 08/09/01
29 lifetime posts
Yo Iceman:
If you were to look at the packaging that your "regular screwdriver" with the padded handle came in you would have noticed that it says that the material on or around the screwdriver is not designed to prevent electrical shock hazards. (the above is not the exact wording)

Of course when working with electricity ALWAYS turn off the power before attempting any kind of repairs.

[This message has been edited by Christopher Sparks (edited November 24, 2001).]

rpxlpx

04:51AM | 11/26/01
Member Since: 03/13/00
1674 lifetime posts
I have found ceiling texture in light sockets, making the bulbs hard to turn and causing poor contact. An old toothbrush can be used to clean out the socket.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register