Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


08:14AM | 06/22/02
Member Since: 06/21/02
1 lifetime posts
I built a polebarn type building with a 2nd floor for storage. I need to run electric from my garage, which is less than 20 ft away, but about 50' of wire is needed to get into the building from the 60 amp garage sub panel. All I want at this time is 2 light sockets on 1 switch inside and an exterior light to light the stairs, with a 3-way switch (top or bottom of stairs), and 1 GFCI outlet inside the building.
Here is my question: Can I just run 12/2 with a ground from a 20 amp breaker in my garage sub-panel to the new building without a local circuit breaker in the new building? I can do the work, but am not familiar enough with NEC know if this is allowed.
The reason I am doing this so basic is that I plan to run a 100 amp line from my main house panel in about a year, but am required to have basic lighting and a receptical for my final inspection of the building, which I am almost ready for.
Thanks for any help


08:51PM | 09/22/02
Member Since: 09/01/02
25 lifetime posts
You will have to have a switch to deenergize the building. If the property is residential you can use a regular box mounted switch. That switch must be located were the wire enters the building. If you have any other questions please ask.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button