Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


06:05AM | 04/12/04
Member Since: 03/18/04
11 lifetime posts
I recently installed 3 extension rings in order to bring receptacles flush to the surface of newly installed wainscoting. The "wings"/tabs on the top and bottom of the extensions are grabbing onto the wainscoting at the top and bottom of the cutout. Is this the way they are supposed to be installed? I'm wondering because if a wire were to come loose and come into contact with the extension ring, then wouldn't it energize and route itself right to the wings/tabs and the wall, thus creating a fire hazard?

Should I cut the cut-outs larger so that the tabs don't touch the wainscoting? Or is this not going to be as big of a problem as I think it is?

Thanks in advance.

Tom O

01:03PM | 04/12/04
Member Since: 09/17/02
476 lifetime posts
I think what you are actually using is more commonly called a box extender and from your description, you are using it correctly.

If you're concerned about them becoming energized (unlikely, IMO) then you can try an electrical supply house for extenders made of plastic.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button