08:35PM | 08/07/08
Member Since: 12/02/05
6 lifetime posts
I am building a new home and the power company is coming to the house with a 400 amp service. I am installing the meter sockets and running the wire to the house panels my self. I plan on installing two meter sockets and running seperate lines from each meter to each 200 amp panel. Is this correct?? if not what is the best route?


04:40AM | 08/08/08
Member Since: 03/31/05
265 lifetime posts
POCO will not allow two meters for a single occupancy residence. You need a 320/400A meter base. From this you can feed two 200A panels.


07:07AM | 08/08/08
Member Since: 12/02/05
6 lifetime posts
from this then I can run one service line to the first 200 amp panel and then to the second??


01:41AM | 08/09/08
Member Since: 01/09/07
198 lifetime posts
No, you should run a separate line to each panel from the meter.


07:31AM | 08/19/08
Member Since: 05/08/08
2 lifetime posts
The meter socket you need is a Milbank U1748-0.

You can buy this at :


10:10AM | 08/19/08
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
That is a pedestal mount for a specific applications and would not be the type mounted on a house.

There are also different types of meter mounts. Ring and ringless.

The utility company will have a list of meter sockets that are acceptable.

They also have requirments about placement. So he needs to work with then about the details of what they want.


04:06PM | 08/20/08
Member Since: 12/02/05
6 lifetime posts
I finally got the right socket.. a milbank U2872-XT-5T9.. this is approved by my power company.. what I am wondering is if I am missing something that the power company hooks up their service lines with. The lugs for each meter are there.. but the middle of the socket is empty.?? just wondering where they attach there wires. If some one can help me that would be great.. as I am looking to just have the right stuff available so when the power company shows up.. they can hook up to it.. thanks


07:53PM | 08/20/08
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts

that appears to be a 2 gang meter socket.

The center section is where the power if feed to and a meter is installed on each side.

that is for two 200 amp meters. That would be on a duplex.

But it would not be used on a single residence unless the electric company meter heating separately from other power usage.

If it single metering then you want a single socket 320 amp socket.


02:20AM | 08/21/08
Member Since: 12/02/05
6 lifetime posts
i am having a duel fuel set up.. so one panel is for the in floor heat only.. so having 2 meters is required for this set up... so I was told this is the right panel..


05:10AM | 08/21/08
Member Since: 04/25/05
1915 lifetime posts
Then that is the right meter.

That is not a common setup.
Click to reply button Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

  • People also asked icon400 amp service I am building a new home and the power company ...
    10 REPLIES
  • People also asked iconUpgrading services There are two ways of doing a 320/400 amp servi...
  • People also asked iconservice to Barn Wanting to run a service to the barn from the h...
  • People also asked iconSplit Busses The code allows up to 6 disconnects on a servic...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon