I'd love to replace a 2nd window in my bedroom with an exterior door to my backyard. The window is 29" wide & fits exactly in the recessed window opening. I can't find a pre-framed door that's 29" wide (making the door about 28"). I'd also like the top half to have glass, to keep the bedroom light.
I'd appreciate DIY instructions for opening the sheetrock wall, widening & studding for the narrowest door allowed by Code (probably 30"), installing a header (the window is about 2" lower than a door should be), etc. I've gotten outrageous estimates & it's a job I think I can handle with a friend or two.
In desperation, I thought of getting a recycled wooden door, ripping it to 28-1/2" & hinging it to the studs already in the wall! I'd add stops & a doorknob. Am probably crazy, but didn't they do it that way in the Old West?
Any instructions U can share? Many thanks!
I would leave this to a professional. This is something that needs to be right to be safe and secure.
Changing your own window and door, I don't think you are crazy at all and its possible with the help of a friend but keep in mind that if you don't do it right will end raising your energy bills due to poor insolation. But again the choice is yours.
Melted trim on exterior door
Tall Front Door
Converting garage to room and need to replace door
Reversing an exterior door from swinging out to swin...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!