I'd love to replace a 2nd window in my bedroom with an exterior door to my backyard. The window is 29" wide & fits exactly in the recessed window opening. I can't find a pre-framed door that's 29" wide (making the door about 28"). I'd also like the top half to have glass, to keep the bedroom light.
I'd appreciate DIY instructions for opening the sheetrock wall, widening & studding for the narrowest door allowed by Code (probably 30"), installing a header (the window is about 2" lower than a door should be), etc. I've gotten outrageous estimates & it's a job I think I can handle with a friend or two.
In desperation, I thought of getting a recycled wooden door, ripping it to 28-1/2" & hinging it to the studs already in the wall! I'd add stops & a doorknob. Am probably crazy, but didn't they do it that way in the Old West?
Any instructions U can share? Many thanks!
I would leave this to a professional. This is something that needs to be right to be safe and secure.
Changing your own window and door, I don't think you are crazy at all and its possible with the help of a friend but keep in mind that if you don't do it right will end raising your energy bills due to poor insolation. But again the choice is yours.
Melted trim on exterior door
Tall Front Door
Converting garage to room and need to replace door
Reversing an exterior door from swinging out to swin...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets