I'd love to replace a 2nd window in my bedroom with an exterior door to my backyard. The window is 29" wide & fits exactly in the recessed window opening. I can't find a pre-framed door that's 29" wide (making the door about 28"). I'd also like the top half to have glass, to keep the bedroom light.
I'd appreciate DIY instructions for opening the sheetrock wall, widening & studding for the narrowest door allowed by Code (probably 30"), installing a header (the window is about 2" lower than a door should be), etc. I've gotten outrageous estimates & it's a job I think I can handle with a friend or two.
In desperation, I thought of getting a recycled wooden door, ripping it to 28-1/2" & hinging it to the studs already in the wall! I'd add stops & a doorknob. Am probably crazy, but didn't they do it that way in the Old West?
Any instructions U can share? Many thanks!
I would leave this to a professional. This is something that needs to be right to be safe and secure.
Changing your own window and door, I don't think you are crazy at all and its possible with the help of a friend but keep in mind that if you don't do it right will end raising your energy bills due to poor insolation. But again the choice is yours.
Melted trim on exterior door
Tall Front Door
Converting garage to room and need to replace door
Reversing an exterior door from swinging out to swin...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!