water proofing basement walls
However, tar foundation coating is not a water proofing compound, it is a vapor proofing compound and over time, if your french drain fails, you could have water penetration into your basement.
DryLok will serve as a water and vapor barrier but should not be used as your first line of defense in this regard.
Water and vapor proofing should always be done on the outside of the foundation, but it is not always practical or economical to do so. Especially after a home has been completed.
Foam actually has a high permeablity rating.
Permeability is the quality of a material to allow water or water vapor to pass.
The only way to prevent water from entering your blaock is to apply a specialty coating to the outside of the foundation or a rubber membrane around the outside of the foundation.
The other method is water management. This involves cutting the floor and installing a footer drain inside.
This will not keep the water out but offers a way to catch it before it causes you harm. Be aware of humidity levels before and after any work. It is possible to stop the water but increase the humidity. High humidity can lead to mold.
Hope this helps,
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees