water proofing basement walls
However, tar foundation coating is not a water proofing compound, it is a vapor proofing compound and over time, if your french drain fails, you could have water penetration into your basement.
DryLok will serve as a water and vapor barrier but should not be used as your first line of defense in this regard.
Water and vapor proofing should always be done on the outside of the foundation, but it is not always practical or economical to do so. Especially after a home has been completed.
Foam actually has a high permeablity rating.
Permeability is the quality of a material to allow water or water vapor to pass.
The only way to prevent water from entering your blaock is to apply a specialty coating to the outside of the foundation or a rubber membrane around the outside of the foundation.
The other method is water management. This involves cutting the floor and installing a footer drain inside.
This will not keep the water out but offers a way to catch it before it causes you harm. Be aware of humidity levels before and after any work. It is possible to stop the water but increase the humidity. High humidity can lead to mold.
Hope this helps,
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight