water proofing basement walls
However, tar foundation coating is not a water proofing compound, it is a vapor proofing compound and over time, if your french drain fails, you could have water penetration into your basement.
DryLok will serve as a water and vapor barrier but should not be used as your first line of defense in this regard.
Water and vapor proofing should always be done on the outside of the foundation, but it is not always practical or economical to do so. Especially after a home has been completed.
Foam actually has a high permeablity rating.
Permeability is the quality of a material to allow water or water vapor to pass.
The only way to prevent water from entering your blaock is to apply a specialty coating to the outside of the foundation or a rubber membrane around the outside of the foundation.
The other method is water management. This involves cutting the floor and installing a footer drain inside.
This will not keep the water out but offers a way to catch it before it causes you harm. Be aware of humidity levels before and after any work. It is possible to stop the water but increase the humidity. High humidity can lead to mold.
Hope this helps,
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs