water proofing basement walls
However, tar foundation coating is not a water proofing compound, it is a vapor proofing compound and over time, if your french drain fails, you could have water penetration into your basement.
DryLok will serve as a water and vapor barrier but should not be used as your first line of defense in this regard.
Water and vapor proofing should always be done on the outside of the foundation, but it is not always practical or economical to do so. Especially after a home has been completed.
Foam actually has a high permeablity rating.
Permeability is the quality of a material to allow water or water vapor to pass.
The only way to prevent water from entering your blaock is to apply a specialty coating to the outside of the foundation or a rubber membrane around the outside of the foundation.
The other method is water management. This involves cutting the floor and installing a footer drain inside.
This will not keep the water out but offers a way to catch it before it causes you harm. Be aware of humidity levels before and after any work. It is possible to stop the water but increase the humidity. High humidity can lead to mold.
Hope this helps,
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs