Our builder's tile guy said a large percentage of our currently installed tile is loose b/c the previous installer didn't use enough butter on the back of the tiles when setting them (particularly around the edges). Our builder wants to replace the existing grout (not tiles) with an epoxy grout in an attempt to correct the issue. The builder says the grout will flow under the edges of the loose tiles and fix the problem.
Would someone with tile flooring experience let me know if replacing the grout with Epoxy grout will fix the issue or if it is just prolonging the inevitable replacement of my tile?
Our tile is installed on the ground floor (monolithic slab) of our house. The original tile was replaced about 18 months ago. The builder said the membrane below the original tile had delaminated and caused those tiles to come loose. The current tile has been in place about 18 months. When I noticed grout beginning to crumble on some of our current tiles I started tapping on tiles and found many of them to sound hollow around the edges and some sounded hollow all over.
Hardwood floor question.
cracked tile on shower floor. Do I need to replace ...
re-use ceramic tile?
Ceramic tiles on an arch
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight