The foundation wall of a 4 level split home has what our realtor called a frost line crack. It extends horizontally across about 5 ft. It is not large enough to fit my pinky finger into. There are also smaller cracks along the blocks diagonally toward the floor. It is the only wall with cracks (the front of the house). Does this sound serious? What exactly are frostline cracks and how do they occur?
Personally if I were looking at a home and the foundation had cracks larger than a hairline, or longer than a foot, I would walk away from it.
The house should be build to avoid frost heaving. There should not be "frostline cracks". You say it is not big enough for your pinky, but it must be close if you are using that as a desciption. This is an open crack is a very serious sign of shifting/settling. Walk away now or be prepared for some major foundation repairs.
5 bottom to top basement cracks - new construction w...
new construction basement floor cracks
cracks on new concrete slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!