The foundation wall of a 4 level split home has what our realtor called a frost line crack. It extends horizontally across about 5 ft. It is not large enough to fit my pinky finger into. There are also smaller cracks along the blocks diagonally toward the floor. It is the only wall with cracks (the front of the house). Does this sound serious? What exactly are frostline cracks and how do they occur?
Personally if I were looking at a home and the foundation had cracks larger than a hairline, or longer than a foot, I would walk away from it.
The house should be build to avoid frost heaving. There should not be "frostline cracks". You say it is not big enough for your pinky, but it must be close if you are using that as a desciption. This is an open crack is a very serious sign of shifting/settling. Walk away now or be prepared for some major foundation repairs.
5 bottom to top basement cracks - new construction w...
new construction basement floor cracks
cracks on new concrete slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!