I'm planning on building an approximately 1800 sq. ft. octagonal home.
I plan to use a rabble trench footing (drain pipe at bottom and 1&1/2 gravel to grade level) with a 24" wide x 6" high concrete beam on grade to support the concrete blocks which will be dry stacked and surface bonded.
I also plan a 3&1/2" concrete slab over 2+" of foam insulation.
My problem is that I can't visualize the height of the slab or the edge of the slab in relation to the concrete beam footer.
Should the top of the slab be above the top of the footer or at the same height?
Should there be an insulated gap between the slab and the footer?
Or should the slab and footer be all one pour, and if so what rain on the outside edge of the footer; will it try to find a path to seep through the blocks onto the pad?
Water in Basement
Periodic wet basement from suspected rising water table
Basement Cement Block Blistering
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps