I'm planning on building an approximately 1800 sq. ft. octagonal home.
I plan to use a rabble trench footing (drain pipe at bottom and 1&1/2 gravel to grade level) with a 24" wide x 6" high concrete beam on grade to support the concrete blocks which will be dry stacked and surface bonded.
I also plan a 3&1/2" concrete slab over 2+" of foam insulation.
My problem is that I can't visualize the height of the slab or the edge of the slab in relation to the concrete beam footer.
Should the top of the slab be above the top of the footer or at the same height?
Should there be an insulated gap between the slab and the footer?
Or should the slab and footer be all one pour, and if so what rain on the outside edge of the footer; will it try to find a path to seep through the blocks onto the pad?
Water in Basement
Periodic wet basement from suspected rising water table
Basement Cement Block Blistering
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees