I'm planning on building an approximately 1800 sq. ft. octagonal home.
I plan to use a rabble trench footing (drain pipe at bottom and 1&1/2 gravel to grade level) with a 24" wide x 6" high concrete beam on grade to support the concrete blocks which will be dry stacked and surface bonded.
I also plan a 3&1/2" concrete slab over 2+" of foam insulation.
My problem is that I can't visualize the height of the slab or the edge of the slab in relation to the concrete beam footer.
Should the top of the slab be above the top of the footer or at the same height?
Should there be an insulated gap between the slab and the footer?
Or should the slab and footer be all one pour, and if so what rain on the outside edge of the footer; will it try to find a path to seep through the blocks onto the pad?
Water in Basement
Periodic wet basement from suspected rising water table
Basement Cement Block Blistering
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs