I'm planning on building an approximately 1800 sq. ft. octagonal home.
I plan to use a rabble trench footing (drain pipe at bottom and 1&1/2 gravel to grade level) with a 24" wide x 6" high concrete beam on grade to support the concrete blocks which will be dry stacked and surface bonded.
I also plan a 3&1/2" concrete slab over 2+" of foam insulation.
My problem is that I can't visualize the height of the slab or the edge of the slab in relation to the concrete beam footer.
Should the top of the slab be above the top of the footer or at the same height?
Should there be an insulated gap between the slab and the footer?
Or should the slab and footer be all one pour, and if so what rain on the outside edge of the footer; will it try to find a path to seep through the blocks onto the pad?
Water in Basement
Periodic wet basement from suspected rising water table
Basement Cement Block Blistering
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes