I'm planning on building an approximately 1800 sq. ft. octagonal home.
I plan to use a rabble trench footing (drain pipe at bottom and 1&1/2 gravel to grade level) with a 24" wide x 6" high concrete beam on grade to support the concrete blocks which will be dry stacked and surface bonded.
I also plan a 3&1/2" concrete slab over 2+" of foam insulation.
My problem is that I can't visualize the height of the slab or the edge of the slab in relation to the concrete beam footer.
Should the top of the slab be above the top of the footer or at the same height?
Should there be an insulated gap between the slab and the footer?
Or should the slab and footer be all one pour, and if so what rain on the outside edge of the footer; will it try to find a path to seep through the blocks onto the pad?
Water in Basement
Periodic wet basement from suspected rising water table
Basement Cement Block Blistering
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs