ok, here it is... we are building a deck and one of the questions right off the bat is this... would a 12" joist be a good size for the bottom. I have seen many books and most of them are with a 6" joist and it gives it a good appearence being low to the ground. However, my thought process is this and give me feedback if you agree or disagree.
The deck is going to be 18' x 13' along a fence in the back yard. I plan to have a single low level deck, meaning to the ground, and a railing along the side that is along a wooden fence in the back yard. The fence is not ours and is old and grey so hiding it is a thought. Moreover, we are going to be putting a spa towards the back and to the right of the deck. the spa will be on top of the deck, not set into ahole... Lastly, there will be an designed overyhang that will be above the railings with 2x2 boards about 3 feet hanging over one side towards the deck and a foot to the opposite side hanging away from the deck.
Because of these additions I don't think a 6" joist makes the most sense as would 12"... does that make sense??? and any other feedback would be appreciated... sorry for the long wind...
have fun always
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Lattice pricacy ontop of existing fence..thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!