ok, here it is... we are building a deck and one of the questions right off the bat is this... would a 12" joist be a good size for the bottom. I have seen many books and most of them are with a 6" joist and it gives it a good appearence being low to the ground. However, my thought process is this and give me feedback if you agree or disagree.
The deck is going to be 18' x 13' along a fence in the back yard. I plan to have a single low level deck, meaning to the ground, and a railing along the side that is along a wooden fence in the back yard. The fence is not ours and is old and grey so hiding it is a thought. Moreover, we are going to be putting a spa towards the back and to the right of the deck. the spa will be on top of the deck, not set into ahole... Lastly, there will be an designed overyhang that will be above the railings with 2x2 boards about 3 feet hanging over one side towards the deck and a foot to the opposite side hanging away from the deck.
Because of these additions I don't think a 6" joist makes the most sense as would 12"... does that make sense??? and any other feedback would be appreciated... sorry for the long wind...
have fun always
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Lattice pricacy ontop of existing fence..thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes