ok, here it is... we are building a deck and one of the questions right off the bat is this... would a 12" joist be a good size for the bottom. I have seen many books and most of them are with a 6" joist and it gives it a good appearence being low to the ground. However, my thought process is this and give me feedback if you agree or disagree.
The deck is going to be 18' x 13' along a fence in the back yard. I plan to have a single low level deck, meaning to the ground, and a railing along the side that is along a wooden fence in the back yard. The fence is not ours and is old and grey so hiding it is a thought. Moreover, we are going to be putting a spa towards the back and to the right of the deck. the spa will be on top of the deck, not set into ahole... Lastly, there will be an designed overyhang that will be above the railings with 2x2 boards about 3 feet hanging over one side towards the deck and a foot to the opposite side hanging away from the deck.
Because of these additions I don't think a 6" joist makes the most sense as would 12"... does that make sense??? and any other feedback would be appreciated... sorry for the long wind...
have fun always
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water, ...
Lattice pricacy ontop of existing fence..thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers