Our toilet won't flush properly (bowl will not empty)- we've replaced works in tank and still having the same problem. (Sometimes we have to flush 3 or 4 times.) No toys or "foreign objects" have been thrown in. Do we need to replace the whole toilet? We are on a city septic system and the toilet is probably the original one which would make it about 25 years (give or take a couple). All other drains in the house work properly and we only have the one bathroom.
You may be much happier to fix your existing toilet than to buy a low flush toilet. Sounds more like a drain or bowl problem than a tank problem although it could be. Have you pulled the toilet to see if their is an obstruction in the bowl? Do you have deposits built up around the 1" hole in the bottom? Can you possible identify the brand? Repair parts are not all the same for this age of toilet. Look at the indented numers and letters on the inside of the tank. You may have to run a pencil over them. You'll see a ceramic cook date and other identifiers like "K" or "Standard". Does the inside of your tank look different from other toilets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!