Hi, I have a problem. I am hoping someone can walk me through. My house is not heating very well, so I call the gas company. They stated I may need to bleed the air out of my hot water radiators. Some of the symptoms include, lack of heat, the furnace is almost constantly running, and noise in the walls (like loud vibrations). Does this sound like I need to bleed the radiators? And if so, how do I do this? Please please help me!! thank you. Jessica
Hi there, what you need to do is turn down your thermostat and let the water cool down. Then on the top of your radiators on either end there should be a valve some sort ie: with a knob that turns, a flat head screw or a square knob inside a valve. You can buy a key at a hardware store (looks like an old skate key) for the square knob in the valve if that is what you have. Turn the screw,knob you will hear air escaping, and it does smell, then water should come out, be careful the water could be hot, have some towels around. After you let out some water tighten screw, knob. Also you can go to the other site here and there is a post for the same thing. Good Luck get warm.
Hey TC. Thanks for the advice. I've seen many other posts though that reference a site which also says that you need to open a valve on the furnance and make sure the pressure is at a certain level while you open and close the bleeders. Is that only for certain systems or is it not necessary in all cases?
well I did bleed the radiators. There was a steady stream of water right away. Do you have any other suggestions on what my problem could be? I also would like to know what temperature should the water be? The water that came out of the radiator was only warm, I thought it would be scolding. Thanks for all your help!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love