Hi, as I confessed on another post, I changed switches and outlets without marking wires. I know, I know....
I just bought this house and don't know what the switches activate. On one switch, I think I found the outlet which must be switched, 3-wire sheathed electrical cable pigtailed etc. I connected the wire coming off the pigtail to the hot side of the outlet and the whites to the neutral side and broke the tab on the hot side. All I did was kill half the outlet. The load side outlets still have power but the switch does nothing. Any ideas what I might try?
On the other switches, I have no clue what they do. No other plug has more than a line in and line out configuration. How would an electrician approach deducing what these switches do? btw, the switches in question are single pole and mounted in the same box.
Go to the dollar store and buy nightlights, plug them in everywhere, and hit the switches... save yourself a lot of time! good luck
If you would explain what wires are where better a person could easily tell you what to tie together. Describe how many cables and how many wires are in each cable for each box (switch or receptacle). Does the switch just turn on from one place (says on-off on it) and is it a single switch in the wall.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
Wiring a programmable timer switch
help with wiring for wall light fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates