Hi, as I confessed on another post, I changed switches and outlets without marking wires. I know, I know....
I just bought this house and don't know what the switches activate. On one switch, I think I found the outlet which must be switched, 3-wire sheathed electrical cable pigtailed etc. I connected the wire coming off the pigtail to the hot side of the outlet and the whites to the neutral side and broke the tab on the hot side. All I did was kill half the outlet. The load side outlets still have power but the switch does nothing. Any ideas what I might try?
On the other switches, I have no clue what they do. No other plug has more than a line in and line out configuration. How would an electrician approach deducing what these switches do? btw, the switches in question are single pole and mounted in the same box.
Go to the dollar store and buy nightlights, plug them in everywhere, and hit the switches... save yourself a lot of time! good luck
If you would explain what wires are where better a person could easily tell you what to tie together. Describe how many cables and how many wires are in each cable for each box (switch or receptacle). Does the switch just turn on from one place (says on-off on it) and is it a single switch in the wall.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
Wiring a programmable timer switch
help with wiring for wall light fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees