Hi, as I confessed on another post, I changed switches and outlets without marking wires. I know, I know....
I just bought this house and don't know what the switches activate. On one switch, I think I found the outlet which must be switched, 3-wire sheathed electrical cable pigtailed etc. I connected the wire coming off the pigtail to the hot side of the outlet and the whites to the neutral side and broke the tab on the hot side. All I did was kill half the outlet. The load side outlets still have power but the switch does nothing. Any ideas what I might try?
On the other switches, I have no clue what they do. No other plug has more than a line in and line out configuration. How would an electrician approach deducing what these switches do? btw, the switches in question are single pole and mounted in the same box.
Go to the dollar store and buy nightlights, plug them in everywhere, and hit the switches... save yourself a lot of time! good luck
If you would explain what wires are where better a person could easily tell you what to tie together. Describe how many cables and how many wires are in each cable for each box (switch or receptacle). Does the switch just turn on from one place (says on-off on it) and is it a single switch in the wall.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
Wiring a programmable timer switch
help with wiring for wall light fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide