My mother has asked me to help her paint her house. She originally hired someone to do the work but, she was unhappy about his methods. I have no experience painting. Most of the baseboards and doors are painted already. But, I'm concerned about the work that was done. Originally the baseboards and doors were primer coated and then painted with a latex satin paint. Should these have been sanded first? I've noticed on one door the paint easily comes off. There are a few nicks and scraps resulting in the paint being removed on the baseboards in high traffic areas. The paint job is about a week old. Whats the prognosis for the future of the existing paint jobs? Should I not worry about it and continue with the rest of the work sanding first, then painting? Any help you provide is appreciated. Honestly, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff. - Chad
The paint that was applied to the doors may still just be soft as it takes latex/acrylic paints at least 30 days to cure. Yes you should sand any remaining woodwork and doors before you paint them and remember primer is not a substitute for sanding.
about sanding... When you've finished, make sure to clean up the dust before priming and painting. Otherwise, the paint will be "rough" with the sanding dust.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight