The Best Dusters to Clean Every Corner of Your Home
Win the war on dust with the perfect product for your needs, from furniture to fans, delicate items to electronics.
Getting rid of household dust—those pesky fine particles composed of plant pollen, human and animal dander, environmental pollution, and plain old dirt—is a constant battle. Because it’s so fine, dust sifts through tiny cracks and openings, collecting on surfaces in a matter of hours. Dust removal can be a challenge because it flies around as readily as it settles.
Old-fashioned rags and natural fiber dusters just push the stuff around or require mineral oil and petroleum-based products to make it adhere. Fortunately, new material options like microfiber make dusting easier and eco-friendlier. Dust comes off with just a swipe, with no need for the use harsh chemicals and no residue left behind. Read on to learn how the best duster tools can improve your cleaning routine, including five products preferred by most people for this chore:
- BEST EXTENDABLE DUSTER: DocaPole 20 Foot High Reach Dusting Kit with 5-12 Foot Extension Pole
- BEST DISPOSABLE DUSTER: Swiffer 3-Foot Extendable Duster
- BEST DUSTER FOR DELICATES: OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster
- BEST MICROFIBER CLOTHS: iCooker Microfiber Cloths
- BEST DUSTER FOR ELECTRONICS: Gigi-Store Electric Duster
Types of Dusters
- Natural Fiber Dusters: Traditionally, natural feathers, lambs’ wool, and cotton were used to banish dust from furniture and belongings. However, wool and feathers, as animal products, can be more expensive and less sustainable than man-made dusters; they can also contain allergens, which defeats the purpose of dusting.
- Microfiber Cloths: Microfiber cloths have a unique molecular structure; their tiny filaments have deep crevasses that pick up dust, dander, and moisture droplets with no sprays or polishes needed. Microfiber is also highly durable, even after multiple uses and washes, and effective for both wet and dry cleaning jobs.
- Delicate Dusters: Originally made of ostrich feathers, these were designed to dust paintings, antiques, and glass items like vases and chandeliers without abrasion. Nowadays, microfiber mimics the gentle nature of feathers; look for delicate dusters with a soft brush- or mop-like head that can be removed for washing.
- Handled Dusters: Dust often hides in hard-to-reach places like crown molding, rafters, and the tops of picture frames. A duster with an extendable/collapsible handle helps banish dust from these areas. Look for expandable handles, useful for shorter and longer distances.
- Disposable Dusters: While reusable dusters are great for green housekeeping, disposable products can sometimes come in handy if dusting an office or other place where a washing machine isn’t available. Disposable dusters are made of polyester fibers that create friction and static electricity to attract dust particles and, while they cannot be laundered, some can be used multiple times before tossing away.
- Electronics Dusters: Nothing collects dust like computer keyboards—hence the popularity of compressed air (also known as canned air) to blow the dust off these items using pressurized gases. These products have raised environmental concerns, however, because they often include greenhouse gases that can contribute to ozone damage. The Environmental Protection Agency encourages alternatives, including microfiber cloths and small USB plug-in or battery-powered vacuums to suck up dust from crevices in electronics.
The Best Dusters
After weighing the pros and cons of different dusters, we focused on products that won’t harm your health and that will create less waste. One disposable duster did make the list because it can be reused multiple times. Continue below to see all of our favorites!
1. BEST EXTENDABLE DUSTER: DocaPole 20 Foot High Reach Dusting Kit
Designed for those up-high, out-of-the-way spots, the DocaPole telescopes from five feet to twelve feet long, enabling you to reach all the way to the rafters. At the end of the pole is a swivel tip that rotates 180 degrees. Attach one of the included microfiber attachments to the swivel tip and you’re ready to attack dust from virtually any angle, anywhere and everywhere it lives in your home.
2. BEST DISPOSABLE DUSTER: Swiffer 3-Foot Extendable Duster
This product boasting “dust lock adhesive” joins the Swiffer family of effective, disposable cleaning products. It’s got a handle that extends up to three feet, a rotating head to get into tight spaces, and though ultimately disposable, it can be reused until its tiny, fluffy polyester fibers are fully coated with dust.
3. BEST DUSTER FOR DELICATES: OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster
For the ultimate soft touch, go with the OXO Good Grips Delicate Duster; its microfiber filaments are perfect for dusting antiques, fragile keepsakes, paintings and other cherished items. When you’re done dusting, simply pop off the head and throw it in the wash (or swap in a replacement head, separately sold).
4. BEST MICROFIBER CLOTHS: iCooker Microfiber Cloths
Streak-free, lint-free, and made without toxic chemicals, iCooker premium microfiber cloths are safe and effective for dusting antiques, glass, kitchen and bathroom surfaces, and pretty much anything else. The cloths can absorb up to eight times their weight, and the woven surface picks up dust with magnetic ease. iCooker cloths come in multi-colored packs, so you can color-code each one for different cleaning purposes.
5. BEST DUSTER FOR ELECTRONICS: Gigi-Store Electric Duster
Yes, this battery-operated air duster and vacuum is specially designed for use with electronics, and it works great for its purpose. But it can also be used for sucking crumbs and and small debris out of any tiny crevice in your home—the space between the stove and your kitchen countertop, for example. The 35W brushless motor runs for about 50 minutes per charge, and its three attachments can be swapped in and out to help you get the job done in a variety of scenarios.