The Best Dusters to Clean Every Corner of Your Home
Win the war on dust with the perfect product for your needs, from furniture to fans, delicate items to electronics.
Getting rid of household dust—those pesky fine particles composed of plant pollen, human and animal dander, environmental pollution, and plain old dirt—is a constant battle. Because it’s so fine, dust sifts through tiny cracks and openings, collecting on surfaces in a matter of hours. Dust removal can be a challenge because it flies around as readily as it settles.
Old-fashioned rags and natural fiber dusters just push the stuff around or require mineral oil and petroleum-based products to make it adhere. Fortunately, new material options like microfiber make dusting easier and eco-friendlier, removing it with just a swipe and no harsh chemicals or residue. Read on to learn how the best duster tools can improve your cleaning routine, including five products preferred by most people for this chore:
- BEST EXTENDABLE DUSTER: DocaPole 20 Foot High Reach Dusting Kit with 5-12 Foot Extension Pole
- BEST DISPOSABLE DUSTER: Swiffer 3-Foot Extendable Duster
- BEST DUSTER FOR DELICATES: OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster
- BEST MICROFIBER CLOTHS: iCooker Microfiber Cloths
- BEST DUSTER FOR ELECTRONICS: Gigi-Store Electric Duster
Types of Dusters
- Natural Fiber Dusters: Traditionally, natural feathers, lambs’ wool, and cotton were used to banish dust from furniture and belongings. However, wool and feathers, as animal products, can be more expensive and less sustainable than man-made dusters; they can also contain allergens, which defeats the purpose of dusting.
- Microfiber Cloths: Microfiber cloths have a unique molecular structure; their tiny filaments have deep crevasses that pick up dust, dander, and moisture droplets with no sprays or polishes needed. Microfiber is also highly durable, even after multiple uses and washes, and effective for both wet and dry cleaning jobs.
- Delicate Dusters: Originally made of ostrich feathers, these were designed to dust paintings, antiques, and glass items like vases and chandeliers without abrasion. Nowadays, microfiber mimics the gentle nature of feathers; look for delicate dusters with a soft brush- or mop-like head that can be removed for washing.
- Handled Dusters: Dust often hides in hard-to-reach places like crown molding, rafters, and the tops of picture frames. A duster with an extendable/collapsible handle helps banish dust from these areas. Look for expandable handles, useful for shorter and longer distances.
- Disposable Dusters: While reusable dusters are great for green housekeeping, disposable products can sometimes come in handy if dusting an office or other place where a washing machine isn’t available. Disposable dusters are made of polyester fibers that create friction and static electricity to attract dust particles and, while they cannot be laundered, some can be used multiple times before tossing away.
- Electronics Dusters: Nothing collects dust like computer keyboards—hence the popularity of compressed air (also known as canned air) to blow the dust off these items using pressurized gases. These products have raised environmental concerns, however, because they often include greenhouse gases that can contribute to ozone damage. The Environmental Protection Agency encourages alternatives, including microfiber cloths and small USB plug-in or battery-powered vacuums to suck up dust from crevices in electronics.
The Best Dusters
After weighing the pros and cons of different kinds of dusters, we focused on products that won’t harm your health and create less waste. One disposable duster did make the list because it can be reused multiple times.
1. BEST EXTENDABLE DUSTER: DocaPole 20 Foot High Reach Dusting Kit with 5-12 Foot Extension Pole ($49.99)
Designed for hard-to-reach places, from ceiling fans to rafters and molding, the DocaPole has a range of uses beyond dusting, including window and gutter cleaning. It relies on scratch-free microfiber technology to effectively and gently remove dust and dirt, boasts a lightweight yet durable aluminum telescoping pole, and features a 180-degree swiveling hinge tip for complete cleaning. The DocaPole, which earns 4.8 out of five stars on Amazon, has removable, machine washable dusting attachments to get your home spotless time after time. Available on Amazon.
2. BEST DISPOSABLE DUSTER: Swiffer 3-Foot Extendable Duster ($12.97)
This product boasting “dust lock adhesive” joins the Swiffer family of effective, disposable cleaning products. It’s got a handle that extends up to three feet, a rotating head to get into tight spaces, and though ultimately disposable can be reused until its tiny, fluffy polyester fibers technology are fully coated with dust. Hundreds of Amazon customers give the Swiffer a 4.4-star rating as an excellent household tool. Available on Amazon.
3. BEST DUSTER FOR DELICATES: OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster ($6.64)
For the ultimate soft touch, go with the OXO Good Grips delicate duster. Its specially designed microfiber filaments create a fluffy head perfect for dusting antiques, paintings, and knickknacks. The handle has a soft, comfortable, non-slip grip with a hanging hole for easy storage. When done dusting, simply pop off the head and machine wash; plus, replacement heads are available for when the business end of the duster has gone beyond the call of duty. Neat freaks on Amazon give the OXO delicate duster 4.4 stars for easy, gentle cleaning power. Available on Amazon.
4. BEST MICROFIBER CLOTHS: iCooker Microfiber Cloths (12-pack for $11.99)
Earning 4.9 out of five stars from more than 400 happy Amazon customers, these microfiber cleaning cloths are perfect for dry and wet clean-up. Streak-free, lint-free, and made without toxic chemicals, iCooker premium microfiber cloths are safe and effective for antiques, glass, kitchen and bathroom surfaces, and pretty much anything else (even your face). The cloths can absorb up to eight times their weight, and the woven surface picks up dust with magnetic ease. iCooker cloths come in multi-colored packs, so you can color-code each one for different cleaning purposes. Available on Amazon.
5. BEST DUSTER FOR ELECTRONICS: Gigi-Store Electric Duster ($39.99)
Though this battery-operated, dual-purpose air duster and vacuum is specially designed for electronics, it can also be used for sucking up crumbs and dust from other tiny crevasses, like stovetops. The two 2000 mAh batteries will keep a charge up to four hours, and the 35W brushless motor runs 50 minutes on a single charge. Its three-piece attachment kit allows you to switch out the head for a variety of cleaning tasks. The hand vacuum filter can be removed easily and cleaned by hand: Simply dispose of any dust, then run under cool water. Amazon customers give Gigi-Store’s electric duster 4.3 stars for suction power, ease of use, and effectiveness. Available on Amazon.