Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


05:30AM | 05/21/03
Member Since: 05/20/03
1 lifetime posts
My friends mother is about to purchase a bungalow for over $300,000. The frame of the house is already up, & a deposit has been given. Now that the mud has dried up they took a walk around the foundation & have noticed 6 cracks in the foundation, which are also visible in the basement. They had an engineer in & he said they are called Sheer Cracks. They can be fixed but this method would only last 7 years. What are your thoughts on something like this? Does she want to purchase a house of that expense to only get 7 years out of the the fixed cracks. She is a senior citizen. Would it be best at this point to look for another house?

Jay J

06:21AM | 05/27/03
Member Since: 10/26/00
782 lifetime posts
It's great to read that an Engineer was hired to look at the situation. That would have been my 1st suggestion.

Did you ask the Engineer what it means after 7 years? Obviously, 'we' can't see it from here. Shear cracks are slip cracks. It implies that there was movement along the crack from BOTH 'parts'. A crack is just a crack like you see when you look at a hairline crack in a glass. A shear crack is movement along the actual crack.

I'd contact the Engineer. Get a definition from him/her and ask about the 'future'. $300,000 is a LOT of $$$. The fee for an Engineer is a drop in the bucket. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button