Latest Discussions : Basement & Foundation


06:45AM | 11/19/04
Member Since: 11/18/04
1 lifetime posts
My house is approximately 100 years old, wood construction, brick piers, raised about 2-1/2 feet. I've noticed a depression (sink hole?) under the house, in about the mid section. The house is fairly level for this area but I am worried that the ground could be sinking. I want to know should I fill in the area? and what material should I use....dirt, sand, gravel?

Thanks in advance for your help



08:07PM | 11/28/04
Member Since: 11/27/04
172 lifetime posts
gravel, but also if it is serious sinkage, like 1 foot over the year then get a soil engineer.

could just be your ground water levels from over action on the land drain water goes down ,then the ground dries and sinks down to fill the area.

Glenn Good

05:02AM | 12/04/04
Member Since: 09/10/03
314 lifetime posts
There is one drawback to using loose gravel or washed stone: It will readily accept and retain water. Standing water under your house is not a good thing and should be avoided. If you currently have no problems at all with water getting under your house and into the areas you are planning to fill, gravel may not be a problem. If on the other hand water does run under your house (even occasionally), or if the water table is high where you live, gravel may not be your best choice.

To keep water out from standing under the house you would be better off filling with compacted earth, compacted ABC stone (which contains the fines), cement based flowable fill, or lean concrete. These materials will not readily accept water and will help prevent the filled depression from absorbing and holding water (provided the filled areas are mounded or sloped slightly to prevent ponding).

You should also try to find out what is causing the sinking if it continues. A geological (soils) engineer may need to be consulted if the area continues to sink after you fill it.


Moderator: Construction Systems, Foundations, and Masonry & Stone

For more information about me and/or my qualifications please visit my website at:

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button