Latest Discussions : Plumbing


04:09PM | 02/17/03
Member Since: 02/16/03
4 lifetime posts
I am in the process of redoing my shower stall and am removing the old separate valves with a single valve mixer. The house was built in 1977 and they used what looks like little desurgers on each leg of the piping. Is it necessary to maintain the desurgers or can I just cut them out too?



04:05AM | 02/18/03
Member Since: 09/17/02
524 lifetime posts
They are probably hammer arresters. They prevent the pipes from banging when you turn of the water quickly. If you can you should leave them or reinstall them.


05:59AM | 02/18/03
Member Since: 02/16/03
4 lifetime posts
Thanks! There is room to save them, just wasn't sure if they were necessary.

erik peterson

07:50AM | 06/24/03
Member Since: 06/23/03
223 lifetime posts
Those are most likely "integral-stops" which are designed for shutting off the water to the valve without shutting all the water to the house off..I would remove those as they can inhibit the volume passing to the new valve/valves. erik

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button