We have been getting qoutes for vinyl siding (amazing the range of cost) and some have said to use house wrap & foam board or just to use Shelterwarp HD. My question is, do we need both the wrap and the foam, and if we do, does the foam borad go on first then the wrap?
The house has tar paper on it now.
Take the tar paper off...It will hold heat and contribute to drying out the vinyl, it will bleed through as well, by running down and collecting because of the waterproofing oils. Wrap the bare sheething after checking out the condition with house wrap. (Tyvec,ect,ect.) Use the correct size foam board , if not you can recess your window and door trim, and you don`t want to do that. If you`ve gone through the process of stripping down the old siding to the sheething , it makes sence to apply to the products` specs. The wrap is a moisture barrier and the foam is an insulator. You want both.Also if you apply a strip of Ice and water barrier (10")on the sheething and over the tops of all roof stepflashings or wall flashings, you will get much better protection against leaks due to ice and weaknesses in the siding. The tops of flashings are the weakest points. (horizontal travel and wicking)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!