My whole house has a musty smell. It is so bad that when I leave the house I smell it on my clothes and hair!
What is the best way to determine the source of this odor?
I wish I knew because I have a musty odor in my house and it sticks to my hair and clothing as well. please reply if you find out.
kristin in houston
kristin in houston
It could be coming form several different locations. First, check the basement if you have one. Check the walls, especially where the walls and floors meet. If it is damp, try running a dehumidifier for about a week or so. Also, open up any vents in the basement and let the air conditioner run. This cool air will help the drying process. If water is getting in the basement, there are several things you can do. First, make sure the grade (dirt, grass, etc) around the house is pitched to fall away from the house. Most basements have draintile running around the perimeter. You may have to install this if it wasn't done before. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight