My whole house has a musty smell. It is so bad that when I leave the house I smell it on my clothes and hair!
What is the best way to determine the source of this odor?
I wish I knew because I have a musty odor in my house and it sticks to my hair and clothing as well. please reply if you find out.
kristin in houston
kristin in houston
It could be coming form several different locations. First, check the basement if you have one. Check the walls, especially where the walls and floors meet. If it is damp, try running a dehumidifier for about a week or so. Also, open up any vents in the basement and let the air conditioner run. This cool air will help the drying process. If water is getting in the basement, there are several things you can do. First, make sure the grade (dirt, grass, etc) around the house is pitched to fall away from the house. Most basements have draintile running around the perimeter. You may have to install this if it wasn't done before. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects