Building Dept. Shaker Heights,Ohio
-Are sump pump systems allowed?
"yes, although this is not the approach we recommend.It`s NOT waterproofing,its water management........this approach does NOT mold,mildew or fungus which can be associated with health problems......you(they) WILL need a permit to install such a system"
-What if the problem is not related to surface grading and water is leaking through the foundation?
"the preferred method for dealing with damp and leaky basements is to dig around the perimeter of foundation (Outside) all the way down to footing;apply waterproofing materials.....to the outside of foundations wall(s);fill any cracks in foundation.....and fill in with at LEAST 2' of washed gravel above the new tile. Thats waterproofing done right"
its best to backfill from footing/drain tiles all the way up to within several inches of grade -- 6th paragraph http://www.yodergroup.com/concrete.asp
"Many waterproofing companies advertise a free and complete analysis of your wet basement problem.These evaluations are usually conducted by salespeople with minimal technical training, and often the only solution they sell is the drain and sump pump system.It is not a surprise, then, that they arrive at the conclusion that the drain and sump pump system is the best solution for you 99% of the time."
crap...on the hm inspector view. see how, at least some, are affiliated with inspectors
....back to do it yourself link
"another common problem with waterproofing companies,especially in Wash. area, is proce gouging.Several well established firms in this market are believed to conspire to FIX Prices.Allegedly,in some cases, two so called competitors may in fact be two branches of the same operation.Waterproofing is the one home service field in this area where a significant chunk of the market is held by completely unscrupulous firms.Be careful. Don`t let the firm`s size fool you"
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
What Else - Water in Da' Basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees