Building Dept. Shaker Heights,Ohio
-Are sump pump systems allowed?
"yes, although this is not the approach we recommend.It`s NOT waterproofing,its water management........this approach does NOT mold,mildew or fungus which can be associated with health problems......you(they) WILL need a permit to install such a system"
-What if the problem is not related to surface grading and water is leaking through the foundation?
"the preferred method for dealing with damp and leaky basements is to dig around the perimeter of foundation (Outside) all the way down to footing;apply waterproofing materials.....to the outside of foundations wall(s);fill any cracks in foundation.....and fill in with at LEAST 2' of washed gravel above the new tile. Thats waterproofing done right"
its best to backfill from footing/drain tiles all the way up to within several inches of grade -- 6th paragraph http://www.yodergroup.com/concrete.asp
"Many waterproofing companies advertise a free and complete analysis of your wet basement problem.These evaluations are usually conducted by salespeople with minimal technical training, and often the only solution they sell is the drain and sump pump system.It is not a surprise, then, that they arrive at the conclusion that the drain and sump pump system is the best solution for you 99% of the time."
crap...on the hm inspector view. see how, at least some, are affiliated with inspectors
....back to do it yourself link
"another common problem with waterproofing companies,especially in Wash. area, is proce gouging.Several well established firms in this market are believed to conspire to FIX Prices.Allegedly,in some cases, two so called competitors may in fact be two branches of the same operation.Waterproofing is the one home service field in this area where a significant chunk of the market is held by completely unscrupulous firms.Be careful. Don`t let the firm`s size fool you"
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
What Else - Water in Da' Basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects