Building Dept. Shaker Heights,Ohio
-Are sump pump systems allowed?
"yes, although this is not the approach we recommend.It`s NOT waterproofing,its water management........this approach does NOT mold,mildew or fungus which can be associated with health problems......you(they) WILL need a permit to install such a system"
-What if the problem is not related to surface grading and water is leaking through the foundation?
"the preferred method for dealing with damp and leaky basements is to dig around the perimeter of foundation (Outside) all the way down to footing;apply waterproofing materials.....to the outside of foundations wall(s);fill any cracks in foundation.....and fill in with at LEAST 2' of washed gravel above the new tile. Thats waterproofing done right"
its best to backfill from footing/drain tiles all the way up to within several inches of grade -- 6th paragraph http://www.yodergroup.com/concrete.asp
"Many waterproofing companies advertise a free and complete analysis of your wet basement problem.These evaluations are usually conducted by salespeople with minimal technical training, and often the only solution they sell is the drain and sump pump system.It is not a surprise, then, that they arrive at the conclusion that the drain and sump pump system is the best solution for you 99% of the time."
crap...on the hm inspector view. see how, at least some, are affiliated with inspectors
....back to do it yourself link
"another common problem with waterproofing companies,especially in Wash. area, is proce gouging.Several well established firms in this market are believed to conspire to FIX Prices.Allegedly,in some cases, two so called competitors may in fact be two branches of the same operation.Waterproofing is the one home service field in this area where a significant chunk of the market is held by completely unscrupulous firms.Be careful. Don`t let the firm`s size fool you"
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight