Hi, I'm working on a home project that's rather odd. The intended goal is a videogame arcade cabinet "cockpit", that is self-enclosed and has an "eject" feature. When you hit an eject button, the cockpit seat actually ejects backwards, opening up the cabinet in the process. I'm planning on using simple gravity to achieve this effect, by having the entire seat section of the cabinet mounted on an inclined set of rails, and when released, it would simply slide backwards.
I anticipate a lot of fun building this, not least of which because I know VERY little about handyman-style projects and will likely learn a lot about basic carpentry in the process.
***One of the things I need to acquire for the process is a set of rails that will be mounted onto an inclined wooden plaform, and a way to join the seat assembly onto them. The seat assembly cannot simply sit on them; I am trying to arrange something where the seat assembly is joined onto the rails, but can slide along them forward or backward.
They must be capable of supporting (seat assembly + person) >250lbs, and standing up to repeated use. The rails themselves would be fastened (screwed, I imagine) onto the wooden platform beneath them. They might have to be as much as 5-7 feet in length.
One thing I was thinking that might work would be the same kinds of rails that are found underneath front car seats, that allow them to be adjusted forward and back. The only problem with this idea is that I would need the rails in lengths longer than found in (junked) cars. Another possibility would be a more heavy-duty version of the types of rails/sliders used in windows, sliding doors, or even drawers.***
Please, does anyone have ideas for this? I appreciate any ideas.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps