Hi, I'm working on a home project that's rather odd. The intended goal is a videogame arcade cabinet "cockpit", that is self-enclosed and has an "eject" feature. When you hit an eject button, the cockpit seat actually ejects backwards, opening up the cabinet in the process. I'm planning on using simple gravity to achieve this effect, by having the entire seat section of the cabinet mounted on an inclined set of rails, and when released, it would simply slide backwards.
I anticipate a lot of fun building this, not least of which because I know VERY little about handyman-style projects and will likely learn a lot about basic carpentry in the process.
***One of the things I need to acquire for the process is a set of rails that will be mounted onto an inclined wooden plaform, and a way to join the seat assembly onto them. The seat assembly cannot simply sit on them; I am trying to arrange something where the seat assembly is joined onto the rails, but can slide along them forward or backward.
They must be capable of supporting (seat assembly + person) >250lbs, and standing up to repeated use. The rails themselves would be fastened (screwed, I imagine) onto the wooden platform beneath them. They might have to be as much as 5-7 feet in length.
One thing I was thinking that might work would be the same kinds of rails that are found underneath front car seats, that allow them to be adjusted forward and back. The only problem with this idea is that I would need the rails in lengths longer than found in (junked) cars. Another possibility would be a more heavy-duty version of the types of rails/sliders used in windows, sliding doors, or even drawers.***
Please, does anyone have ideas for this? I appreciate any ideas.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs