We are trying to restore a house that is over 350 years old. We had a contractor do the addition and now that we have run out of money we are trying to do the old part ourselves keeping it as close to original as possible. We took off some old 1/8" paneling that was put up in the 60's and found an old fireplace. The walls around it are covered in thin wooden slats running horizontally with about 1/4" to 1/2" space between them. We don't know where to go from here. Should those slats be removed also?
sounds like the walls were originally plastered. the thin wooden slats with spaces were used to support the plaster. when the plaster was applied to the slats, some of the material was pressed thru the slots between the slats and that was the KEY to anchor the plaster to the walls and ceiling.
Thank you so much for all the help. I guess that is not an original art of the house. We will just take them down and see what lies beneath. This is definately an adventure. Thank you again.
Well, we decided to take the slats off on the fireplace wall so we could really see behind it. I think we will leave them on the rest of the room walls. The fireplace wall was sure interesting. They didn't take too many pains cutting wood the proper length, but the house is sound as it can be. We are going to cover it with drywall I think unless we can get a good price for wood wainscoating or using 3" horizontal tongue in grove wood like the rest of the house. I also want to put a time capsule in the walls before we cover it so the next guy will have an adventure too. Will let you know what we decide. Thanks so much for all your help. SG
Drywall over old wall material
FIXING AN OLD LINT DRYER FILTER
Kitchen Cabinets in old NY Apt.
Play-by-play Remodeing an old house NON-COMMERCIAL Blog
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes