Removing paint from 112 year old trim....Help please!
I need the name of the product before I can answer any questions on its use and application. Can you send me this info?
I used PeelAway 6 on it with wonderful results. (Why anyone would paint over gorgeous mahogany is beyond me)
There was no mention of 'only use if painting again', just about trying on a small test area first. Maybe you have PeelAway level 8 which is more caustic?
Anyway, its not as wishful as effortlessly peeling away all the layers, but with some elbow grease the results were fantastic, and I'd definitely use it again.
PeelAway is an alkaline based paste so its much safer to use, if you get some on you by accident, you can just clean it up. Again, level 6 is what I used for wood. Depending on how many layers of paint, the cover may need to be on 24, 36, 48+ hours. I worked on like 5 foot sections at a time, and 36 hours was optimal. Just be sure to completely cover the paste with the wrap provided and tape it even to keep air out.
Once you've scraped away what PeelAway left behind you "neutralize" the alkaline compound by spraying it with an acidic compound: a vinegar solution they sell or you can make up.
I then stained it with a MinWax mahogany stain and the grain jumped out! Two coats of polyurethane later, the banister is a showpiece.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs