Removing paint from 112 year old trim....Help please!
I need the name of the product before I can answer any questions on its use and application. Can you send me this info?
I used PeelAway 6 on it with wonderful results. (Why anyone would paint over gorgeous mahogany is beyond me)
There was no mention of 'only use if painting again', just about trying on a small test area first. Maybe you have PeelAway level 8 which is more caustic?
Anyway, its not as wishful as effortlessly peeling away all the layers, but with some elbow grease the results were fantastic, and I'd definitely use it again.
PeelAway is an alkaline based paste so its much safer to use, if you get some on you by accident, you can just clean it up. Again, level 6 is what I used for wood. Depending on how many layers of paint, the cover may need to be on 24, 36, 48+ hours. I worked on like 5 foot sections at a time, and 36 hours was optimal. Just be sure to completely cover the paste with the wrap provided and tape it even to keep air out.
Once you've scraped away what PeelAway left behind you "neutralize" the alkaline compound by spraying it with an acidic compound: a vinegar solution they sell or you can make up.
I then stained it with a MinWax mahogany stain and the grain jumped out! Two coats of polyurethane later, the banister is a showpiece.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees