Removing paint from 112 year old trim....Help please!
I need the name of the product before I can answer any questions on its use and application. Can you send me this info?
I used PeelAway 6 on it with wonderful results. (Why anyone would paint over gorgeous mahogany is beyond me)
There was no mention of 'only use if painting again', just about trying on a small test area first. Maybe you have PeelAway level 8 which is more caustic?
Anyway, its not as wishful as effortlessly peeling away all the layers, but with some elbow grease the results were fantastic, and I'd definitely use it again.
PeelAway is an alkaline based paste so its much safer to use, if you get some on you by accident, you can just clean it up. Again, level 6 is what I used for wood. Depending on how many layers of paint, the cover may need to be on 24, 36, 48+ hours. I worked on like 5 foot sections at a time, and 36 hours was optimal. Just be sure to completely cover the paste with the wrap provided and tape it even to keep air out.
Once you've scraped away what PeelAway left behind you "neutralize" the alkaline compound by spraying it with an acidic compound: a vinegar solution they sell or you can make up.
I then stained it with a MinWax mahogany stain and the grain jumped out! Two coats of polyurethane later, the banister is a showpiece.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Handy Household Uses for Vinegar
- 12 Easy Ways to Boost Bathroom Storage
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 10 Ways to Live Large in 400 Sq. Ft. or Less
- Brilliant New Uses for Old Wooden Doors