After several thousand dollars and many hours of my husband's hard work, I HATE the cabinet and microwave placement that was suggested to us. (And the 'expert' was convincing) I wanted the cabinet lowered by at least six inches so as not to have to reach up to use the oven. It is not over the stove. I do not want it on the counter top. Is there anything wrong with having this? Where do others place the microwave? There will be at least 10 inches between counter and cabinet. Counter space is not my priority at this point, but replacing the cabinet and making it so I don't drop chicken on my head is!!!
There are recommended dimensions and locations for everything in the house (and outside). For people who have no other preference, these are ok. In commercial buildings, handicapped laws dictate every dimension to be handy for the disabled. At home however, you are the queen (or king). No matter how knowledgeable the experts are, the location that you like the best - is the best. No one should attempt to disuade you unless a problem of health or safety arises. I have designed standup counters between 32 inches and 42 inches high to match the geometry of the users. Likewise I've installed light switches 24 inches above the floor for children. So go for it, you may start a new trend!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!