I am preparing to hang a 4' porch swing on my front porch. I need help in determining if my plans to reinforce the porch ceiling joists will suffice to distribute the weight of the swing and 2 persons up to 600 lbs total including the swing. The covered porch is 24' x 6' with ceiling joists(2 x 6)x 12' running parrallel with the front of the house and joists attaching to a large laminated beam - center of porch. These 12' spans of 2 x 6 joists are 16" on center. In the middle of each 12' span on each half of the porch there is a 2 x 4 nailed across the top of the joists. The positioning of the swing chains will be about 34" from the left side(end) of the porch and chains 51" apart. I propose to install double 2 x6 pieces(upright -screwed together) in simpson double joist hangers between the 2 sets of joists where the chains will be mounted and also single 2 x 6 pieces in simpson single joist hangers between the 2 x 6 joists that remain between the ones that I used double hangers thus tieing all the joists together to distribute the weight of the loaded swing. I plan to use large eye bolts with washers and nuts going up through the double upright 2 x 6s in the double hangers for each chain. What is your opinion on this set-up holding up to 600 lbs. total.
Your opinions and any advise or other methods to accomplish my objective will be greatly appreciated. Thanks from a novice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes