I am preparing to hang a 4' porch swing on my front porch. I need help in determining if my plans to reinforce the porch ceiling joists will suffice to distribute the weight of the swing and 2 persons up to 600 lbs total including the swing. The covered porch is 24' x 6' with ceiling joists(2 x 6)x 12' running parrallel with the front of the house and joists attaching to a large laminated beam - center of porch. These 12' spans of 2 x 6 joists are 16" on center. In the middle of each 12' span on each half of the porch there is a 2 x 4 nailed across the top of the joists. The positioning of the swing chains will be about 34" from the left side(end) of the porch and chains 51" apart. I propose to install double 2 x6 pieces(upright -screwed together) in simpson double joist hangers between the 2 sets of joists where the chains will be mounted and also single 2 x 6 pieces in simpson single joist hangers between the 2 x 6 joists that remain between the ones that I used double hangers thus tieing all the joists together to distribute the weight of the loaded swing. I plan to use large eye bolts with washers and nuts going up through the double upright 2 x 6s in the double hangers for each chain. What is your opinion on this set-up holding up to 600 lbs. total.
Your opinions and any advise or other methods to accomplish my objective will be greatly appreciated. Thanks from a novice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!