How can change my homes amperage from 100 to 200?
First, this is a job for a professional. An electrician can come in and install a new sub-panel. It will/may also require new lines from the pole to your house. This is something we are looking at doing as well. The cost in the Northeast is somewhere around $1,500 depending on several factors. Good luck.
Consider going higher. I had mine done years ago (don't remember the cost) from 100 to 200, and wish now that I'd gone higher. Don't know about the cost ramifications of going higher, but I'm noticing the sum of all my breakers nearing or exceeding (don't remember which) the limit of the main breaker. Am remodeling a kitchen, and it seems that I need several separate circuits to do things right. And, in most areas, unless it's just a few lights, you'll want to go to 20 amps and 12 ga wire, so it's an issue. They add up fast.
Thanks allot for the advise. I already called an electrician and looking at doing it this weekend. Thank you
The sum of all breakers often excede the the value of the main breaker. That is not valid reason for upgrading. You need to do a proper load calculation.
Ted your house must be HUGE if 200 amps is not enough. As joe said the sum of the breakers does not determine the amperage needed.
Not really, I'm just one of those folks that would build a 6 lane bridge to cross a stream. Thanks for straightening me out, guys.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight