How can change my homes amperage from 100 to 200?
First, this is a job for a professional. An electrician can come in and install a new sub-panel. It will/may also require new lines from the pole to your house. This is something we are looking at doing as well. The cost in the Northeast is somewhere around $1,500 depending on several factors. Good luck.
Consider going higher. I had mine done years ago (don't remember the cost) from 100 to 200, and wish now that I'd gone higher. Don't know about the cost ramifications of going higher, but I'm noticing the sum of all my breakers nearing or exceeding (don't remember which) the limit of the main breaker. Am remodeling a kitchen, and it seems that I need several separate circuits to do things right. And, in most areas, unless it's just a few lights, you'll want to go to 20 amps and 12 ga wire, so it's an issue. They add up fast.
Thanks allot for the advise. I already called an electrician and looking at doing it this weekend. Thank you
The sum of all breakers often excede the the value of the main breaker. That is not valid reason for upgrading. You need to do a proper load calculation.
Ted your house must be HUGE if 200 amps is not enough. As joe said the sum of the breakers does not determine the amperage needed.
Not really, I'm just one of those folks that would build a 6 lane bridge to cross a stream. Thanks for straightening me out, guys.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love