I purchased a house that was built in 1952. The kitchen had the usual 8 layers of semi-disintegrating paint and wallpaper which I resolved to remove. I assumed the walls were plaster considering the age of the house. However, though the first layer of wallpaper came off fine, the rest of the layers aren't. As it turns out, the interior walls are not plaster or drywall, but instead appear to be made of some kind of cardboard. I am using a paper tiger and various solutions (dif, vinegar and water, fabric softner etc), but when I score the paper, all the solutions soak into the cardboard and don't loosen the paper, when I scrape, the cardboard becomes rough and uneven and I don't think it will be sandable. I have had an army of contractors in to look at this and they say everything from using a skim coat to laying drywall over the top of this, to ripping out the walls. Most want to patch it up and paint over the lower layers of wallpaper and avoid disturbing the cardboard. I really think ripping the walls out sounds excessive, but I don't want to be cursing myself in 5 years.
Help! Painting MH over wallpaper
painting over powder-coated aluminum sunroom walls
Can you primer over wallpaper paint?
Repairing Old Plaster walls- HELP!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!