I am removing wallpaper from plaster walls in my 150+ year old house. The wallpaper is coming off pretty easily in most areas. Here is my problem. In some areas, it is peeling off paint. Should I peel the paint in the areas where it is coming off? I don't want to remove it in the whole room. It is a large kitchen. When I go to paint the walls should I sand around where the paint is peeling off? It looks like the under layer of paint is oil based and then they painted water based paint on top of it. What should I do?
I would scrape off what is loose and hopefully it will be the entire room. Then you can sand the edges to feather them out, and then prime the entire room with an oil based primer to help lock down what is left. The finish paint then should be a acrylic latex in satin finish to make it easier to clean but bear in mind the more sheen to paint has the more the defects in walls will show up.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?