I am removing wallpaper from plaster walls in my 150+ year old house. The wallpaper is coming off pretty easily in most areas. Here is my problem. In some areas, it is peeling off paint. Should I peel the paint in the areas where it is coming off? I don't want to remove it in the whole room. It is a large kitchen. When I go to paint the walls should I sand around where the paint is peeling off? It looks like the under layer of paint is oil based and then they painted water based paint on top of it. What should I do?
I would scrape off what is loose and hopefully it will be the entire room. Then you can sand the edges to feather them out, and then prime the entire room with an oil based primer to help lock down what is left. The finish paint then should be a acrylic latex in satin finish to make it easier to clean but bear in mind the more sheen to paint has the more the defects in walls will show up.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes