Sunny afternoons on the patio, lounge parties on the deck, enjoying a shaded porch or breezy pergola—outdoor furniture is built for all this and more, but it’s far from invincible. When exposed to harsh UV rays and severe weather, even high-quality pieces sustain damage over time.
Patio furniture is often considered a long-term investment that’s intended to last for years. Maintenance mostly involves protection against climate and weather conditions that can fade colors, soak rattan, stain fabric, and rust metal.
Outdoor furniture covers come in an array of sizes to fit just about any patio item. They’re easy to use, fold up and fit in storage spaces, and are not overly expensive. You can also find storage bags for outdoor cushions that function in much the same way. These are convenient for keeping the cushions clean and protected from moisture when kept in a deck storage box or garage over the winter.
Spend a bit of extra time covering patio furniture, and save yourself the effort of scrubbing, painting, and repairing weather-battered pieces later on. Take a look below at some of the best outdoor furniture covers available and choose one that’s right for you.
- BEST OVERALL: Duck Covers Rectangular/Oval Patio Table Chairs Cover
- RUNNER UP: Classic Accessories Patio Table & Chair Set Cover
- BEST FOR CHAIRS: Duck Covers Ultimate Waterproof Patio Chair Cover
- BEST FOR SOFAS: Duck Covers Ultimate Waterproof Patio Sofa Cover
- BEST FOR SECTIONALS: Classic Accessories V-Shaped Sectional Sofa Cover
- BEST FOR CUSHIONS: Classic Accessories Cushion and Cover Storage Bag
- BEST FOR GRILLS: Char Broil Performance Grill Cover
- ALSO CONSIDER: Amazon Basics Outdoor Patio Furniture Cover
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Outdoor Furniture Covers
Any outdoor cover should keep dirt and grime off furniture, but the best patio furniture cover offers protection from harmful UV rays and water damage. Consider the following factors to select the right size and features for your outdoor furniture cover.
Patio furniture covers are designed to fit individual items or accommodate a dining table and chairs. Covers that suit the dimensions of your furniture provide the most effective protection. When sizing up your patio items, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Sofas and chairs: For an outdoor sofa, loveseat, or patio chairs, measure the height from the ground to the top of the chairback. Determine the length (also called depth) from front to back. Measure width from side to side, and arm height from the ground to the top of the arm.
- Dining sets: Measure the height of the chairs, then place them around the table and push them in. Determine the length and width of the dining setup from the chair backs opposite each other (or diameter, if the table is round).
- Grills: When measuring for a grill cover, find the distance from the highest point of the barbeque to the ground. Measure length from side to side, and width from front to back.
Most patio furniture covers contain polyester or vinyl, both of which are stain-resistant. Polyester furniture covers are water-resistant, meaning they protect furniture against drizzle and frozen precipitation, but allow heavy rain and snowmelt to pass through. Polyester covers are the more budget-friendly option, but this material is quite detrimental to the environment.
Vinyl, on the other hand, is waterproof. It’s a more durable material and blocks precipitation completely. Some patio furniture covers contain fleece or polyester with an exterior vinyl laminate, which effectively waterproofs them. The best waterproof furniture covers allow air circulation to prevent moisture build-up, which can lead to mold and mildew. Look for covers with an open fit, such as those that don’t cinch tightly on the bottom, or ones that include a vent system.
Areas that experience freezing temperatures (snow, sleet, and/or hail) should opt for waterproof protection unless the furniture will be stored indoors. Leaving aluminum and wrought iron furniture outdoors without a cover is a common mistake. If water enters any holes in aluminum furniture, then freezes, it can cause damage from the inside. Wrought iron, on the other hand, rusts easily when subject to these conditions.
In humid and/or rainy environments, waterproof patio furniture covers are a better choice. This is especially important to protect wrought iron from rust, and wood decay associated with mold and mildew buildup. Store cushions indoors when not in use to avoid prevent moisture from accumulating.
For warm, dry climates, sun damage is the main issue. Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light can result in color fading and fabric breakdown. This causes wood, wrought iron, and fabric cushions to have a bleached, washed-out appearance. Patio furniture covers with UV protection guard against these issues, and water-resistant fabric is likely sufficient for these environments.
There are a handful of other design elements to consider when choosing covers for outdoor furniture. One or more of the following features can make certain covers preferable over other options:
- Airbags: These inflatable bags come with some waterproof covers to increase air circulation, prevent water pooling, and debris buildup.
- Air pumps: Some waterproof patio furniture covers also include an electric air pump, eliminating the need to blow up airbags manually.
- Straps and cords: These attachment features provide a more secure fit and are especially useful during bouts of heavy winds.
- Reinforced seams: Double-stitched or sealed seams offer enhanced durability and waterproofing, respectively.
- Padded handles: Cushion storage bags with padded handles are more comfortable to carry, which can make a big difference when transporting heavier cushions.
Our Top Picks
The following picks highlight some of the most reliable outdoor covers for different furniture types, offering solid performance across the board.
This Duck Covers furniture protector is highly effective against water pooling and debris. An included airbag and electric pump make this one of the best outdoor furniture covers available. The airbag can be inflated with the included air pump (that can be used with other inflatables) to allow air circulation and prevent moisture, mold, and mildew buildup.
The outdoor table cover is steam-sealed, with nylon straps, side-release buckles, and shock cords to hold it securely in place. This furniture cover fits rectangular and oval patio tables plus six patio chairs and comes in four different sizes—96 inches by 64 inches, 109 inches by 84 inches, 127 inches by 84 inches, or 140 inches by 80 inches (all sizes are 32 inches tall).
- High-strength polyester top panel
- Multilayer, breathable side panels
- Double-stitched, tape-sealed seams
- Elastic hem with cord lock
- Click-close straps
- No hole for umbrella
- Fits oval tables better than rectangular ones
One of the best outdoor furniture covers for those on a budget, this model fits over a round table with up to six chairs. It keeps patio furniture dry in all but the heaviest rainfall. The Classic Accessories cover features protective water-repellent fabric, click-close straps, side air vents, and padded handles. The lining contains PVC, so check the furniture manufacturers’ guide to make sure that it won’t damage the furniture.
The 23-inch high patio furniture cover comes in five sizes for round tables ranging from 60 to 108 inches in diameter. This set is water-resistant so it’s best for areas that don’t have extreme winters. Note that this cover is not designed to protect the furniture’s wheels or legs.
- Air vents to reduce condensation
- Click-close straps
- Adjustable hem
- Only for round tables
- PVC-backed cover could damage some furniture finishes
Protect outdoor lounge chairs from harsh weather conditions using this waterproof option from Duck Covers. It features double-stitched, tape-sealed seams and heavy-duty nylon fabric that guards against rain, hail, snow, and sleet. An elastic reinforced hem with a shock cord and click-close straps will keep this furniture cover securely in place through the nastiest winds.
This 36-inch high chair cover comes in four sizes between 29 by 30 by 32 inches and 40 by 40 by 40 inches. Although these outdoor chair covers offer effective weatherproofing, the manufacturer recommends storing cushions indoors.
- Elastic hem with cord lock
- Tape-sealed seams to prevent leaking
- High-strength water-resistant fabric
- Breathable side panels
- Does not entirely cover wheels or legs
- Color fades quickly
This durable 35-inch patio sofa cover comes in six sizes to suit a variety of furniture pieces, ranging from 58 by 40 inches to 103 by 40 inches. The outdoor furniture cover contains robust nylon fabric with double-stitched and tape-sealed seams. Click-close straps and shock cord hems keep this waterproof fabric cover securely in place.
Wraparound vents eliminate moisture buildup beneath the cover. This Duck Covers model is also available with an airbag and/or air pump to heighten air circulation and lessen moisture, mold, and mildew buildup.
- Comes in nine sizes
- Ideal for high-moisture climates
- Click-close straps
- Double-stitched seams
- PVC-backed cover might damage furniture
- Might stain furniture and cushions
The best outdoor furniture covers for sectionals can be difficult to come by. The water-resistant polyester cover is specifically designed for V-shaped couches—so no need to attach a regular sofa cover with tarps and hope for the best.
The outdoor sectional cover features strong, interior bound seams, high-density stitching, click-close straps, an elastic hem cord, and padded handles. Air vents allow circulation to lessen the buildup of moisture, mildew, and mold.
The patio furniture cover comes in four sizes ranging from 70 by 33.5 by 31 inches to 115 by 33.5 by 31 inches. This Classic Accessories model, like those of many competitors, is not designed to fully cover wheels or legs.
- Padded handles for easy fitting and removal
- Air vents to reduce wind lofting
- Click-close attachment straps
- Designed for V-shaped couches
- Does not fully cover wheels or legs
When faced with variable weather, people may find it’s a hassle to store outdoor cushions, especially when storms roll in quickly. This cushion storage bag solves that dilemma: a zippered top opening provides easy access, eliminating the struggle to load and unload cushions in a hurry.
The Classic Accessories bag is crafted with interior bound seams, high-density stitching, and padded handles. Padded handles offer comfort when carrying the bag, and air vents decrease the chance of moisture buildup. Choose between two sizes, 16 by 47 by 22.5 inches and 62 by 22 by 30 inches.
- Dual zippers for easy placement and removal
- Durable stitching
- Additional handle on the end for easy transport
It can be challenging to keep a barbeque in top shape, no matter the weather. Grill owners often resort to tarps due to the lack of available covers. Enter the Char Broil grill cover, reliably designed for complete weather protection. It’s crafted from waterproof vinyl over a polyester inner layer and reinforced by sealed seams.
This cover comes in five sizes between 22 by 22 by 33 inches and 72 by 24 by 42 inches. The universal fit is a bit loose on the body for some grills but still fits snugly along the legs.
- Fits all brands of grills
- Adjustable side straps
- Sealed seams
Use this AmazonBasics cover to protect a patio table and chair set at an affordable price. The 110 by 84 by 24-inch furniture cover works with oval and rectangular tables, designed with loop handles that adjust for an ideal fit. The lightweight 100 percent woven polyester fabric features rugged interlocking seams and click-close straps.
This waterproof cover protects a dining furniture set against rain and snow during the off-season, as well as leaves, dust, and dirt. The dining set can be left on the patio, but chair cushions should be stored inside during the off-season.
- Interlocking seams
- Click-close straps
- Designed for rectangular or oval table and chair set
- Not enough tie-down straps for a secure fit
- Not vented
While it depends on the measurements of your outdoor patio furniture and the climate conditions of your location, the Duck Covers Rectangular/Oval Patio Table Chairs Cover is our top pick for one of the best outdoor furniture covers.
How We Chose the Best Outdoor Furniture Covers
Covers for outdoor furniture are a worthwhile investment to protect your outdoor patio set. To determine the best, we focused on furniture covers that are available in various sizes, offer the best in UV protection and water resistance, include easy-to-use straps, and have additional features such as reinforced seams or padded handles. These recommendations for the best outdoor furniture covers include options that are for furniture of various shapes and sizes, as well as for grills and furniture cushions. Our picks for the best outdoor furniture covers will help protect your hardwood table, wrought-iron chairs, brightly colored cushions, and wicker dining set by safeguarding and preserving their brand-new appearance for years to come.
Tips for Maintaining Outdoor Furniture
The best patio furniture covers do most of the work when it comes to protection—but there are additional measures that enhance their performance, and ones you can take for when the patio set isn’t covered. Refer to the tips below on how to maintain outdoor furniture, both covered and uncovered.
- When it rains and you forget to put covers on, or simply don’t use them, make sure to wipe down wood and wrought iron furniture afterward.
- If you live in a sunny climate and prefer not to use furniture covers, treat wood, wrought iron, and colored fabric with a UV protection spray.
- Waterproof sprays are also available for outdoor furniture pieces and fabric; however, covers are a more effective, long-lasting option for areas with frequent rainfall.
- Clean patio furniture before storing it long-term, and use a light-duty cover to prevent dust build-up.
- When storing furniture in a garage or shed for the winter, and this season involves freezing temperatures, turn each item upside down; this will remove any leftover water, which can damage furniture upon freezing.
- If you opt for a tarp rather than a designated cover, elevate chair and table legs to allow for air circulation.
- Wipe furniture and cushions with a cloth or use a scrub brush, paired with mild dish detergent and water.
- Before cleaning outdoor cushions, dust them off to remove pollen, dirt, or other debris on the surface.
- Use a remover specifically formulated for stains or mold and mildew when handling these issues, and make sure the product is compatible with the furniture material or cushion fabric.
- Apply dedicated wood oil or varnish to protect furniture finishes and restore color.
- Use car wax to maintain plastic or aluminum furniture, and dedicated wax for wicker pieces.
- Treat wrought iron furniture with a rust-inhibiting spray, which also acts as a sealant.
- Use an outdoor paint spray or apply with a brush to refresh wrought iron and wicker furniture.
It’s important to use new outdoor furniture covers consistently for maximum protection. Not sure when or how to use furniture covers? See the answers to the frequently asked questions below.
Q. When should outdoor furniture covers be used?
Use outdoor furniture covers for seasonal day-to-day protection from weather, dirt, and debris. Manufacturers recommend storing cushions and furniture inside during the off-season.
Q. How do you secure outdoor furniture covers?
Users can almost always secure furniture covers directly to the furniture when they use the integrated straps with click-close buckles.
Q. What should I look for in patio furniture covers?
Aside from furniture dimensions, climate conditions are the most important consideration when selecting suitable outdoor covers. The main points to keep in mind include:
- If you live in a humid climate, or one that experiences snow, sleet, hail, and/or heavy rain, opt for a waterproof vinyl cover.
- Before buying, make sure a waterproof cover has an open fit or ventilation, which allows for airflow and discourages moisture buildup (this can cause mold and mildew to develop).
- If the furniture will be subject to prolonged sun exposure, choose a cover with UV protection to guard against color fading and fabric breakdown.
- For areas that experience heavy winds, a shock cord, straps, and/or ties are ideal to keep covers securely in place.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series, including This Old House and Bob Vila’s Home Again, he popularized and became synonymous with “do it yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today in the expert yet accessible home advice at the heart of BobVila.com. Today, the Bob Vila editorial team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.
Debbie Wolfe is an author and freelance writer in a variety of niches. She specializes in home, garden, DIY, and lifestyle topics. Debbie has written for leading online media outlets and online retailers, including HGTV, The Home Depot, Walmart, Family Handyman, Realtor, and more. Her book, Do-It-Yourself Garden Projects and Crafts, from Skyhorse Publishing, features a variety of practical DIY projects to beautify your garden and home. Debbie holds a degree in Creative Writing and Earth Science from Northland College. When not writing, Debbie spends her time reading, gardening, cooking, and keeping up with her active family in the deep South.