Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


04:58AM | 04/07/05
Member Since: 03/10/05
2 lifetime posts
I am trying to repair the muffler on a mower. The bolt hole has become larger than the bolts. Do I just buy larger bolts or is there some type of filler that can be used?


Jim D

11:53PM | 04/07/05
Member Since: 01/06/01
342 lifetime posts
DHoefflin - hi, what does the bolt go into? If it screws into the engine block, then it sounds like the bolt hole's gotten stripped and a larger bolt won't help you much or at all. The last thing you want to do is have a very hot muffler fall off while mowing - it'll either find a way to burn your legs/feet or get under the mower deck and turn into shrapnel when the blade chops it up.

You'd have to tap out the bolt hole to accept a larger bolt. That can probably be done safely (and not crack the engine block or weaken it). I don't think you'd find a bolt hole insert that small; the last time I saw inserts for sale, they were in the auto parts store and were intended for spark plug holes in aluminum block engines. I can't think of any type of "filler" that you'd want to use.

You may want to have a repair shop or two look at the bolt hole and advise you of any safety concerns before you tap out the bolt hole. Good luck - regards! Jim D/West Point, VA

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button