07:57PM | 04/25/04
Member Since: 02/06/03
9 lifetime posts
A few years ago, a carpenter told me of wood to be used for replacing window jams but I am not sure of the correct name. He said it was something like 4 sides square or 4S wood. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Basically, my husband and I are replacing the interior window jams and were hoping to replace with something nice that can be stained. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,


Mark Hammond

06:29PM | 04/27/04
Member Since: 05/09/01
246 lifetime posts
Most wood that is sold is milled to a specific dimension. The abbreviation s4s means squared four sides, meaning that all surfaces and edges are at right angles to one another and planed not rough. s2s means squared 2 sides. It is a pretty common way to buy stock. Even lumber for framing is milled or dressed. In some rural areas small mills will cut the stock square but not planed. This is still catagorized as rough stock. The amount of terms and labels when dealing with wood is staggering and there are even grades depending on whether the stock is "soft" (pine,spruce,fir,hemlock,etc.) or graded as hardwood,(walnut,maple,oak,cherry to name a few)......MJH
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon