10:30AM | 02/24/04
Member Since: 02/23/04
1 lifetime posts
I just put up some drywall and I think the walls and tape will not be even. I was thinking of just applying the joint compound with a sponge all over the wall and just give it a textured effect. Does anyone has any suggustions??


02:16PM | 02/24/04
Member Since: 07/28/02
1356 lifetime posts
You may want to try it out on some scrap drywall and see if that is the look you want. The joint compund will need to be thined with water to make it easier to work start with and about 6 onces per gallon.

There also is a mesh roller(GOOP LOOP) that is used to apply a texture to the walls that you may to try out also.


02:08PM | 02/25/04
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
The professional approach is to spray apply textures to achieve orange peel, knock down and other effects. If you already own an air compressor, its a no brainer, buy a texture sprayer and hopper. If you don't have a compressor, buy the pump applicator sold by Homax. They are available in the paint department at the box home improvement stores:

Hand applied texture using drywall compound is messy, very heavy texture, and will not give the results you hope for. Spray applied texture can be removed fairly easily before it dries if you don't like the results.


06:09PM | 10/12/15
How long does the orange peel texture stay on the wall ?
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon