Please help. We are in our first home. It has a pier and beam foundation with a crawl space. It also has some funny air return under the carpet in one place that has been patched. When we were considering the home, there was no odor in it. We asked the previous person to fix a weak spot in the floor where the air return was and afterwards, the smell has been musty and strong.
There is no evidence of mold anywhere. We do have a problem without having gutters where water drips too close to the house and I think moisture is getting into the crawl space. Its a rental and the landlord doesn't want to put a lot of money into the house.
The carpets are filthy and washing them has helped a little, but the musty smell keeps coming back. We have a converted garage and no crawl space there - we still have a smell. is it the crawl space?
our ducts have a lot of dark stuff outside of them. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like dirt. is the smell coming from there?
Also, I'm pregnant, so I'm very afraid of odors injuring the baby. Any advice would be seriously appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates