You have to remove it from the wall. MAYBE, you can get away with pulling it away from the wall a bit. You'll have to figure out how far so you don't damage some OTHER part of the wall when you do the cut. If you do it this way, be SURE you block the back side of the molding so it doesn't move when you work in it. When you're finished, just pull out the block. (Kinda like what you'd do if you were working on your car that's parked on a hill. You don't want it to roll away, eh?) Oh, and be SURE you work the molding away from the wall a little at a time along the ENTIRE length of the molding. If you don't, you may split it.
I'm assuming you know how to finish off the end, right?
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
making inside mitred corners on baseboard,chair rail...
Wodden Chair Rail
Uneven Walls for chair rail
installing paneling over drywall and putting up chai...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees