I have a Kenmore Economizer 5 with the propane (LP) jets installed. This water heater has worked for several years perfectly. Yesterday however, I woke-up to no hot water. In checking the pilot light I noticed a massive build-up of soot. It was everywhere and was clogging the entire burner assembly. I also noticed that flames had escaped the service hatch and licked up the front of the heater. I turned off the LP supply as well as the valve on the heater itself, removed the burner assembly and thoroughly cleaned it up. I re-installed it into the heater and everything looks fine. The pilot light lights up without hesitation. But..... when you move the valve to light the burner, instead of the rapidly burning short little flames you would expect to see, like you see on a stove, there is a very large flame front. By that I mean it almost seems like there is too much pressure but the flames are slow burning. Kinda looks like oil burning on the surface of water.
The stove and oven work fine. One person told me that if I light most of the burners on the stove and light a another one the others should not vary much meaning that the regulator on the LP source is working. I lit three stove burners and let them run a bit then lit the fouth with no problems so I'm assuming the regulator is working.
Any ideas? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so hit me with you best as to where to look for the problem. I'd really like to find a manual on how to rebuild or trouble shoot the gas valve on the heater itself.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
your water heater has a pressure regulator built into the control valve...this may have failed. other possibilities are poor venting or poor supply of combustion air. do yourself a favor and change the heater as its several years old. erik
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!