I am in the process of building a new home and was wondering which one is the best, energy efficient, and cheapest to install.
1. Overhead duct and vents or
2. floor vents
Think 20 years into the future, you need a furnace changed out and the installer tells you that your foundation had filled with water before and the ductwork has all rotted out.! I suggest that you think about more than just duct work efficiency. THink about 10-20 years from now and what the conditions may be then. I myself would never have ductowrk in the crawl space because I have changed out countless systems that have rotted out, its harder to replace and hey more prone to critter damage. I ran across one just yesterday where the foundation had filled with water over the years, and in less than 15 years the entire system needed relacement.
I would make sure all duct work is through interior walls. I have an older house and the ducts to the second floor run up exterior walls. Nothing like having that first blast of cold air when the furnace kicks in to wake you in the morning. Plus I'm spending money to heat the great outdoors as the heat flows out the uninsulated siding.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight